1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Significant Figures confusion

1. Sep 16, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

This topic is causing me some slight confusion and I have a few questions I would like to get resolved.

When you have a number say like: 0.0800, I would assume that it is 3 sig figs...right? Now say I were to divide it by oh..I dont know..517 (which is also 3 sig figs), I would get an answer of: 0.000154738

Since both of the input numbers are 3 sig figs, I would assume to round the product to 3 sig figs. If you do that you get 0.000155. To me, this number looks like non-sense because I am at a higher precision than what I started with - I am getting more data than what I had to begin with.

What would I do in this case? What would I round the product to?

One other Question. Is it possible to round 598 to two sig figs? Would it just be 600, or am I way off base? To me 600 only really has 1 certain sig fig.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 16, 2009 #2

ideasrule

Homework Helper

0.000155 only seems more precise because it's a smaller number. In actuality, it represents an error margin of roughly 0.1%, as do 517 and 0.0800. It's the percent error that significant units are supposed to represent.

As for 598, one way to express it to 2 sig figs is 6.0 *10^2. That's ridiculous, however; don't worry about it. Significant figures are only a teaching tool meant to make students understand the concept of accuracy, and have limited applications in formal science. In real science and engineering, +- error bars are used. 598 might be 598 +- 5, for example, or 598 +- 10, depending on the actual accuracy of the instrument used.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook