Significant Figures rule confusion

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of significant figures and how to round calculations to the correct number of significant figures. It is important to round according to the number with the least amount of sigfigs in order to maintain accuracy. The conversation also covers the difference between measurements and integers when determining the number of significant figures.
MysticalG
Hello, I'm new here and thought that maybe I can learn a thing or two from this website.
Anyways, I need some help in the subject of Significant Figures. I'm getting confused with some of the rules. Here are the questions that I'm confused with.

Subtract and express to the correct significant figures

_____

Multiply and express to the correct significant figures

x 1.7
______

Thanks for your time
-MysticalG

Physics news on Phys.org
MysticalG said:
Hello, I'm new here and thought that maybe I can learn a thing or two from this website.
Anyways, I need some help in the subject of Significant Figures. I'm getting confused with some of the rules. Here are the questions that I'm confused with.

_____

x 1.7
______

Thanks for your time
-MysticalG

With addition and subtraction, you round according to the element with the least amount of numbers beyond the decimal point. With multiplication and division, you round according to the element with the least amount of significant figures.

So would the first one be 207.5, or 208? The 88 has no decimals. :S

The second answer would be 1708.8?

Thanks.
-MysticalG

MysticalG said:
So would the first one be 207.5, or 208? The 88 has no decimals. :S

The second answer would be 1708.8?

Thanks.
-MysticalG

Saying the second answer would be 1708.8 would be implying that 1.7 has five significant digits, which is obviously incorrect. Take both numbers, and round according to the number with the LEAST amount of sigfigs.

I'm sorry, I'm confused by 'Take both numbers, and round according to the number with the LEAST amount of sigfigs.'

My apologies, if I am annoying you. I just don't get it, we learned this concept yesterday; and well I just don't want to be stuck in class.

Sorry for double posting, but can't anyone help :(

Take for example the following problem:

1.7800009 x 8.04

before rounding, you come up with 14.311207236...

Now, in the original problem, which number had the least amount of sigfigs? 8.04 did (only 3) compared to 1.7800009 (8 sigfigs). Because of this, you round your final answer to 3 sigfigs to match that of 8.04.

So your answer is 14.3.

Understand?

Yeah.
So the answer for 1005.2 x 1.7 = 1.7 x 10^3?
Correct :D

:eek: can anyone tell me if this is right? :|

1.7 x 103 looks good.

MysticalG said:

_____
If the 88 is the result of a measurement then it has only 2 sig figs, but if it is an integer resulting from counting then it has an infinite number of sig figs. So if the problem is that you have 88 beans that weigh 202.5g then the answer will have the same number of sig figs as the mass.
However if the 88 is the result of a measurement, as in if you measure the length of a rod to be 88cm and find its mass to be 1005.2 g, then the answer will have the same number of sig figs as the length.

Ok that covered things if the problem asked for multiplication or division, however it is a subtraction problem, so both the 88 and the 202.5 are representing the same type of quanity, therefore the 88 must represent a none integer, it has only 2 sig figs, so must the result.

x 1.7
______

The answer here will have the same number of sig figs as the least number of sig figs in the above 2 numbers.
Thanks for your time
-MysticalG

Last edited:
Thanks guys, I get it now.
-MysticalG

What are significant figures and why are they important?

Significant figures are the digits in a number that represent the precision of a measurement. They are important because they help us communicate the accuracy of a measurement and prevent us from overstating the precision of our data.

How do I determine the number of significant figures in a measurement?

The general rule for determining significant figures is to count all non-zero digits and any zeros between non-zero digits. Zeros at the beginning of a number are not significant, and zeros at the end of a number may or may not be significant depending on the measurement's precision.

What is the rule for rounding with significant figures?

When rounding a number with significant figures, the general rule is to round to the same number of significant figures as the least precise measurement in the calculation. If the digit to be dropped is less than 5, the preceding digit remains unchanged. If the digit to be dropped is 5 or higher, the preceding digit is increased by 1.

Can I use significant figures for all types of numbers?

No, significant figures are most commonly used for measurements and calculations involving physical quantities. They are not typically used for counting numbers, such as integer values, or for exact values, such as conversion constants.

What should I do if I am unsure about the correct use of significant figures in a calculation?

If you are unsure about the correct use of significant figures in a calculation, it is always best to err on the side of caution and use the fewest number of significant figures possible. This will help prevent any potential confusion or errors in your data analysis.