Significant Figures: Is My Way More Accurate?

In summary, the author of the physics book seems to be a little significant-figure-happy, and his methods for solving problems involve making a sig fig calculation before multiplying √k/m) by t. There is a discrepancy in the ways we approach what's inside the sine function, thus exacerbating the already-present difference in our answers.
M_LeComte
The author of my physics book seems to be a little significant-figure-happy:
m=150.0, k=225, A=.15, t=3.00, δ=π
He does this : -A√k/m)sin(t√k/m)+δ)=-.15*1.22sin(3.00*1.22+π)=-.0907
Whereas I do: -A√k/m)sin(t√k/m)+δ)=-A√k/m)sin(3.67+π)=-A√k/m)sin(6.81)=-.0924

Isn't my way more accurate? These discrepancies are driving me nuts as they occur in almost every problem (and there is no method to his madness), so I just wanted to know.

Physics news on Phys.org
M_LeComte said:
The author of my physics book seems to be a little significant-figure-happy:
m=150.0, k=225, A=.15, t=3.00, ?=?
He does this : -A?k/m)sin(t?k/m)+?)=-.15*1.22sin(3.00*1.22+?)=-.0907
Whereas I do: -A?k/m)sin(t?k/m)+?)=-A?k/m)sin(3.67+?)=-A?k/m)sin(6.81)=-.0924

Isn't my way more accurate? These discrepancies are driving me nuts as they occur in almost every problem (and there is no method to his madness), so I just wanted to know.
How did (3.00*1.22) become 3.67? THis alone accounts for the discrepency.

Here is a hint:

3 * 1.22 is 3.66 not 3.67

Does that help?

t=3.00, k=225, m=150.0
√k/m)=1.22
and
1.22t=3.66
but
t√k/m)=3.67

And therein lies the problem. He's making a sig fig calculation before multiplying √k/m) by t. There's also a discrepancy in the ways we approach what's inside the sine function, thus exacerbating the already-present difference in our answers. To me, mine seems the more accurate way to do it, but I just wanted to make sure.

OK, I actually agree with you. When solving intermediate solutions it's a good idea to keep "sig plus one" figures to minimize rounding error. It doesn't matter too much here, since the final answer is limited to two sig figs due to the A = 0.15 factor. The discrepency is only .091 vs. .092 .

When solving the intermediate, you give correct number of sig fig, but then continuing the path to the final answer without having rounded at all.

I think that it is always best so solve equations algerbraically first, then plug and chug the numbers :smile:

'A' should actually be .150, so the difference between our answers is a bit bigger.

Thanks guys.

1. What are significant figures and why are they important in scientific measurements?

Significant figures are digits in a number that represent the precision of a measurement. They indicate the level of certainty in a measurement and are important in scientific calculations because they help maintain accuracy and prevent rounding errors.

2. How do I determine the number of significant figures in a measurement?

The general rule for determining significant figures is to count all non-zero digits and any zeros between non-zero digits. For example, in the number 52.30, there are four significant figures.

3. Can I add or subtract numbers with different numbers of significant figures?

No, when adding or subtracting numbers, the result should have the same number of decimal places as the number with the least number of significant figures. This ensures that the result is not more precise than the original measurements.

4. How do significant figures affect the accuracy of my measurements?

The more significant figures in a measurement, the more precise it is. However, it is important to note that significant figures do not necessarily equate to accuracy. Other factors such as experimental errors and limitations of equipment also affect accuracy.

5. Is there a specific rule for rounding numbers with significant figures?

Yes, when rounding numbers with significant figures, follow the rule of rounding up if the digit to be dropped is 5 or greater, and rounding down if the digit to be dropped is less than 5. If the digit to be dropped is exactly 5, round up if the preceding digit is odd and round down if it is even.