Significant Figures: Answer to 6.45 mol H2 Conversion

In summary, significant figures refer to the digits in a number that are considered to be accurate and reliable. They are important because they communicate the precision and accuracy of a measurement or calculation and help reduce errors. The rules for determining significant figures include considering non-zero digits, zeros between non-zero digits, and trailing zeros. When performing calculations, the result should have the same number of significant figures as the measurement with the least number of significant figures. When converting between units, the converted value should have the same number of significant figures as the original value, and the appropriate conversion factor and unit label should be used in the final answer.
linuxux
When i have a conversion fact such as,

[tex]6.45 mol H_{2\left(g\right)}\times\frac{2 mol HBr_{\left(g\right)}}{2 mol H_{2\left(g\right)} }= 12.9 mol HBr_{g}[/tex]

how many significant figure should the answer have?, I am thinking one.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You've not written one sig fig though, you've written your answer with three. I would suggest to use 3 sig figs since the number of moles of hydrogen are accurate to 3 sig figs, and I presume that 2 is exactly two (i.e. 2.000), so giving 3 sig figs in the answer (like you've done; 12.9) will be as accurate as possible.

thanks cristo.

1. What are significant figures?

Significant figures are the digits in a number that are considered to be accurate and reliable. They are used to express the precision of a measurement or calculation.

2. Why are significant figures important?

Significant figures are important because they help communicate the precision and accuracy of a measurement or calculation. They also ensure consistency and reduce errors in scientific data and calculations.

3. How do you determine the number of significant figures in a number?

The rules for determining significant figures are as follows:
1. Non-zero digits are always significant.
2. Zeros between non-zero digits are significant.
3. Leading zeros are not significant.
4. Trailing zeros after a decimal point are significant.
5. Trailing zeros before a decimal point may or may not be significant, depending on the measurement or calculation.

4. How do you perform significant figure calculations?

When performing calculations with significant figures, the result should have the same number of significant figures as the measurement with the least number of significant figures. Any extra digits in the calculation should be rounded off.

5. How do you convert between units using significant figures?

When converting between units, the converted value should have the same number of significant figures as the original value. Any extra digits in the conversion should be rounded off. It is important to use the appropriate conversion factor and include the correct unit label in the final answer.