Solving Significant Figures Problems - Area of a Parking Lot

In summary, significant figures are important in science because they represent the precision and accuracy of a measurement or calculation. To determine the number of significant figures, start counting at the first non-zero digit and continue until the last digit. To round a number to a specific number of significant figures, start at the leftmost non-zero digit and count the digits until the desired number is reached. When working with significant figures, common mistakes to avoid include rounding too early, forgetting to carry over a digit, and using the incorrect number of significant figures. It is also important to consider the units and precision of given measurements.
chocolatelover
Hi everyone,

Can someone please help me with this problem?

The problem says:

A parking lot is 115 ft by 200 ft. Find the area in m2

My attempt:

1m=3.281 ft

So (115 ft)(1m/3.281ft)=35.1m

(200ft)(1m/3.281ft)=70.0m

A=(35.1m)(70.0m)
A=2457m2=2.46X10^3m^2

Thank you very much

Physics news on Phys.org
200/3.281 = 61.0, not 70.

Also watch out for round-off errors.

Thank you very much

Does 2.14 X 10^3 m^2 look right?

Yup:

http://www.google.com/search?q=(115+feet+*+200+feet)+in+meters^2

Thank you very much

Regards

What are significant figures and why are they important in science?

Significant figures are the digits in a number that are known with certainty, plus one uncertain digit. They are important in science because they indicate the precision and accuracy of a measurement or calculation. They help to represent the limits of precision and avoid false precision in scientific data.

How do I determine the number of significant figures in a given number?

To determine the number of significant figures, start counting at the first non-zero digit and continue until the last digit. Trailing zeros after a decimal point are always significant, but trailing zeros before a decimal point may or may not be significant depending on the context.

How do I round a number to a specific number of significant figures?

To round a number to a specific number of significant figures, start at the leftmost non-zero digit and count the digits until you reach the desired number of significant figures. If the next digit is 5 or greater, round up the last digit. If the next digit is less than 5, leave the last digit unchanged. Any trailing zeros may need to be removed.

How do I solve a significant figures problem involving the area of a parking lot?

To solve a significant figures problem involving the area of a parking lot, first determine the measurements of the parking lot in meters or feet. Then, use the appropriate formula (length x width) to calculate the area. Finally, round the answer to the correct number of significant figures based on the least precise measurement used in the calculation.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when working with significant figures?

Some common mistakes to avoid when working with significant figures include rounding too early in a calculation, forgetting to carry over a digit when rounding, and using the incorrect number of significant figures in a final answer. It is also important to use the correct units and to consider the precision of the given measurements.