• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Significant figures

• Thread starter Zondrina
  • Start date
Zondrina
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

A 200. kg sample of MgO is given (Notice 3 sig figs). How many kg of magnesium ions would there be?

Homework Equations

%Mg = 62%
%O = 38%

The Attempt at a Solution

Just a quick question I had about significant figures.

The sample of MgO given is 200.kg (3 sig figs). The percent composition of magnesium is 62% (2 sig figs). Therefore 62% of the 200.kg will be magnesium.

(62%/100%)(200.kg) = (0.62)(200.kg) = 124kg, but because the answer must have 2 sig figs, the final answer would be 120kg ( This is my suspicion ).

Notice if the kg of oxygen is calculated :

(38%/100%)(200.kg) = (0.38)(200.kg) = 76kg. This answer already has 2 sig figs, so nothing needs to be changed.

Now when added together : 120kg + 76kg = 196kg < 200.kg.

Is this result a fault of the rules or a fault of my own?

Answers and Replies

Borek
Mentor
Is this result a fault of the rules or a fault of my own?
Rounding often messes the result in some way. And as significant digits are far from being perfect (generally speaking they are a poor man's way of dealing with uncertainties) there is nothing strange in the fact calculations done using them yield strange results.

Zondrina
Homework Helper
Rounding often messes the result in some way. And as significant digits are far from being perfect (generally speaking they are a poor man's way of dealing with uncertainties) there is nothing strange in the fact calculations done using them yield strange results.
Yes, rounding leaves a sour taste every time. Thank you for the confirmation though, I just wanted to make sure.