1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Significant figures

1. Sep 16, 2013 #1

Zondrina

Homework Helper

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A 200. kg sample of MgO is given (Notice 3 sig figs). How many kg of magnesium ions would there be?

2. Relevant equations

%Mg = 62%
    %O = 38%

3. The attempt at a solution

Just a quick question I had about significant figures.

The sample of MgO given is 200.kg (3 sig figs). The percent composition of magnesium is 62% (2 sig figs). Therefore 62% of the 200.kg will be magnesium.

(62%/100%)(200.kg) = (0.62)(200.kg) = 124kg, but because the answer must have 2 sig figs, the final answer would be 120kg ( This is my suspicion ).

Notice if the kg of oxygen is calculated :

(38%/100%)(200.kg) = (0.38)(200.kg) = 76kg. This answer already has 2 sig figs, so nothing needs to be changed.

Now when added together : 120kg + 76kg = 196kg < 200.kg.

Is this result a fault of the rules or a fault of my own?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 16, 2013 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Rounding often messes the result in some way. And as significant digits are far from being perfect (generally speaking they are a poor man's way of dealing with uncertainties) there is nothing strange in the fact calculations done using them yield strange results.

4. Sep 16, 2013 #3

Zondrina

Homework Helper

Yes, rounding leaves a sour taste every time. Thank you for the confirmation though, I just wanted to make sure.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted