1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Significant figures

1. Oct 5, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

In a physics lab, Logger Pro software generated statistical estimators such as the standard deviation σ = 0.04021 of a sample of size n = 29.

Among other things, I must calculate the standard error of the mean σmean.

My question is: Must σmean have four sig figs or two (i.e., do I account for the number of sig figs in the sample size, even though n has no error associated with it)?

2. Relevant equations

σmean = σ/sqrt(n)

where σ is the standard deviation of the distribution and n is the sample size.

3. The attempt at a solution

σmean = σ/sqrt(n) = 0.04021/sqrt(29) = 0.007467 or 0.0075?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 5, 2016 #2

RUber

Homework Helper

*edit* I misread your initial question...sorry.
    Since your sample size is error free, you can consider that as an infinite number of sig. figs. and keep 4.

Significant figures is easiest to understand in scientific notation.
    If you write it as 7.467 x 10^(-3), it is clear that this version has 4 significant figures.

4. Oct 5, 2016 #3

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Presumably the count is accurate and must be an exact integer. It should be treated as though it has infinite precision.

5. Oct 5, 2016 #4
    Thanks all. In my lab report, I did it the correct way (i.e., reported the answer to 4 sig figs), but the TA docked me marks with the comment "sig figs", so I will have to take this up with the lab coordinator. Thanks again for your answers.

6. Oct 6, 2016 #5

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

What was the number of significant digits in the data for which these σ were calculated?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted