Calculate Distance Traveled by Jetliner in 35 ms

• Thread starter DocZaius
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Numbers
In summary, this person is trying to find the distance a commercial jetliner travels in 35 milliseconds and is having difficulty with the textbook's answer. The textbook gives 3 significant figures to the answer, which this person believes is not appropriate. The person also agrees that the answer given in the textbook broke the rule of not being more than the number in the operation with the least significant figures. They suggest that either they show too many digits or round the answer to nearest 0.3 meters. If it is a high school physics class, the person suggests that they get partial credit for the answer.
DocZaius
Hi,

I am using a textbook which asks: How far does a commercial jetliner (1046 kilometers/hour) go in 35 milliseconds?

The reason this isn't in the homework section is because I answered this correctly, but apparently not using the book's version of how to handle significant numbers. Maybe you can help me.

here are the calculations I did
1046 kilometers/hour * (1000 meter/1 km) * (1 hr/3600000 ms) * (35 milliseconds)
or
1046 * 1000 / 3600000 * 35 = 10.169444444444444444444444444444 -> rounded to 10 meters since 35 has 2 significant figures and the answer should have no more significant figures in a multiplication/division operation than the number with the least significant figures in it.

The answer given in the textbook is 10.2 (3 significant figures!). Why is the textbook giving 3 significant figures to the answer when a number in the multiplication/division operation clearly has no more than 3 significant numbers in it, but rather has 2. Everywhere I look, this seems to break the rule. I am told everywhere that the answer must not be more than the number in the operation with the least significant figures.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The numbers given as data, could in fact be exact, couldn't they? And what happens if I write 35ms = 35000 microseconds ?
In this case, you have not been told the precsion of the data so it's up to you how you express the answer.

I agree that the answer in the book broke the rule. It should be "10. meters"

To leave the final answer on a paper, I would first show too many digits and then show the act of rounding it:

x = (1046 km/hr)(1000 m/1 km)(1 hr/3600000 ms)(35 ms) = 10.16944444 m = 10. m (rounded for 2 significant digits)

The other way to look at it. You know the time to +/- 0.5ms or about 3% so you quote your answer to around 3% ie nearest 0.3m

Significant figures aren't necessarily the best approach, ie '10' is accurate to 10% but '98' is accurate to nearely 1% even though both have 2sig fig.

The book answer is (strictly) incorrect, and your answer is preferred- mikelepore's response is the ideal one.

[edit] Since it is a hypothetical problem, I don't think it is saying the 35 miliseconds is a measurement. It is asking you how far it would go in exactly 35 ms.

I'd ask for partial credit (if available) based on that logic.

Is this a high school physics class? I don't recall if in my elementary physics classes we bothered with sig figs. I'm not sure we did.

Last edited:

1. How do you calculate the distance traveled by a jetliner in 35 ms?

To calculate the distance traveled by a jetliner in 35 ms, you would need to know the speed of the jetliner in meters per second. Once you have that information, you can use the formula distance = speed x time (d = s x t) to calculate the distance traveled. In this case, you would multiply the speed in m/s by 35 ms, which would give you the distance traveled in meters.

2. What is the average speed of a jetliner?

The average speed of a jetliner can vary depending on several factors, such as the type of jetliner and the distance of the flight. However, on average, a jetliner can travel at a speed of around 550-600 miles per hour (880-960 kilometers per hour).

3. Can you calculate the distance traveled in other units besides meters?

Yes, you can calculate the distance traveled in other units besides meters. The formula distance = speed x time (d = s x t) can be used with any unit of speed and time, as long as they are consistent. For example, if you have the speed in miles per hour and the time in hours, the distance traveled would be in miles.

4. How accurate is the calculation of distance traveled by a jetliner in 35 ms?

The accuracy of the calculation of distance traveled by a jetliner in 35 ms depends on the accuracy of the speed measurement. If the speed is measured accurately, then the calculation will also be accurate. However, other factors such as air resistance and wind can also affect the actual distance traveled.

5. Is it possible for a jetliner to travel faster than the calculated average speed?

Yes, it is possible for a jetliner to travel faster than the calculated average speed. The average speed is just an estimate and can vary depending on different factors. However, it is important for jetliners to adhere to safety regulations and not exceed their maximum safe speed.