Understanding the Signs of Dehydration in Elderly Individuals

• Thread starter kyphysics
  • Start date
In summary, an elderly person's refusal to drink enough fluids, despite being advised by their doctor and family members, may be a sign of underlying health issues. Some speculate that the person may want to die, but this is not necessarily supported by the fact that they are still eating regular proportions of food. However, they may have a preference for sweet drinks over other types of fluids. It is important for them to seek medical help and address any potential health concerns.
kyphysics
If an elderly person refuses to drink much fluid (although, still eating regular proportions of food - relative to age), is that a sign of something wrong/dying?

I cannot understand why my father has stopped drinking fluids. He's never drank much fluids to begin with (throughout his life), but given he's on multiple meds now, he SHOULD/NEEDs TO drink a lot of water to have enough fluids to break down those pills. Despite his doctor telling him he needs to drink more water (ongoing for years), he still doesn't get enough.

He does eat a lot of fruit, which has water. But, he drinks almost nothing without being begged to/yelled at by my mother, sister, and I. If one of us is not around, he will not drink anything when he eats. There is an exception. He will drink soda or something sweet. He can drink a full glass or more of sweet stuff, but that is almost always bad for him. Water...tea...juice...he won't drink (it's practically by forced the family members have to yell at him to do and even then he'll refuse at times).

It did not seem to be as bad years ago, but seems to have gotten very bad with age. My siblings have suggested my dad wants to die and is purposely refusing water/fluids. He has declined and has multiple heath issues now. I know his life is not the same. He is very apathetic. However, I don't buy their reasoning entirely (though I think it's possible). The primary reason is that my dad eats the same. If he wanted to die, I think he'd stop eating too. Also, he will eat or drink a lot if it's sweet stuff, so there's that too.

Biology news on Phys.org
We cannot give you medical help on PF. Please get serious help.

Thread closed

1. What are some physical signs that a person is dying?

Some common physical signs of a dying person include a decrease in appetite, difficulty breathing, changes in skin color, decreased mobility, and changes in consciousness.

2. How can you tell if a person is in the final stages of dying?

The final stages of dying may include symptoms such as a decrease in blood pressure, changes in breathing patterns, decreased response to stimuli, and changes in body temperature.

3. What are some emotional signs that a person is dying?

Emotional signs of a dying person may include feelings of fear, sadness, and anxiety, as well as a desire for social withdrawal and a focus on spiritual matters.

4. How long can a person survive in the dying process?

The dying process can vary greatly from person to person and can last anywhere from a few hours to several weeks. It is important to note that each person's journey is unique and cannot be predicted with certainty.

5. What can be done to make a dying person more comfortable?

Some ways to make a dying person more comfortable include managing pain and other physical symptoms, providing emotional support and companionship, and ensuring their wishes and needs are respected and met.