Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Silicon binning techniques

1. Aug 11, 2008 #1
    Hi all.

A little while ago I overheard my cousin chatting with a friend who works in the semicon industry about the binning process. He was specifically talking about MPU binning techniques in use nowadays and I overheard him mention something to the sound of "boutique line binning". :confused:

I have no idea what it is, but I only remember scant notes of what he mentioned - something to do with pushing some sort of line (L gate?) further to produce higher FMax bin silicon at the cost of power and expense (usually the expensive models/power consuming by any MPU MFG).

I've searched online and not found reference to this anywhere. Can someone explain to me what this is and provide a reference to study about it?

Also how is it possible to distinguish if this technique is being used on a CPU, after production by an individual? Are there telltale signs?

Thanks for the help.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted