Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Silicon Chemistry

1. Jun 19, 2009 #1
    Is Silicon chemistry very similar to Carbon chemistry? Being in the same column with the same number of valence electrons, I assume it would be? Would I be able to use the same mechanisms I learned in my Organic Chemistry class?

I ask because I'm trying to synthesize PEG-trimethoxysilane. I'm actually not sure what to start with, either. Any help would be very appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 19, 2009 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

In general they are different, Si-Si bond is not similar to C-C bond enough.

4. Jun 19, 2009 #3
    Are you sure it isn't trimethylsilyl? If so that's a pretty common alcohol protecting group. And if PEG stands for polyethylene glycol then it would make more sense to me. Cause then all you do is put TMS-chloride with pyridine and voila.

5. Jun 19, 2009 #4
    No, I need to have the groups attached to the silicon (except the PEG... yes you are right, I did mean polyethylene glycol) to undergo an elimination reaction with a hydroxyl group. This would attach the PEG onto another molecule via the silicon. I don't think the methyl groups would do this, but the methoxyl groups would.

Like I said though, I haven't decided what to start with- if I were to start with TMS, could I convert the methyl groups to methoxyl.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook