1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Silicon junction diode

1. Mar 10, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

In a silicon junction diode, the region of the planar junction between n-type and p-type
    semiconductors can be approximately represented as two adjoining slabs of charge, one
    negative and one positive. Away from the junction, outside these charge layers, the
    potential is constant, with a value of Vn in the n-type material and Vp in the p-type
    material. Given that the difference between Vp and Vn is 0.3 V, and that the thickness
    of each of the two slabs of charge is 10^-4 m, find the charge density in each of the
    two slabs, and make a graph of the potential V as a function of position through the
    junction. What is the strength of the electric field at the midplane?

2. Relevant equations

I using the relationship that the second derivative of the potential is equal to σ/ε.
    I have certain conditions. Putting the middle of the bar at x=0, the potential must be continuous through the middle and I have conditions set at the endpoints

phi_1(-10^-4)=0
    phi_2(10^-4)=.3
    phi_1(0)=phi_2(0)
    σ1+σ2 = 0

3. The attempt at a solution

I get two expressions

phi_1(x)= σ1/(2ε)x^2+Ax + B
    phi_2(x) = σ2/(2ε)x^2+Cx+D

I found that A=C and B=D using the conditions, but now I have too many unknowns and not enough equations.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 10, 2014 #2
    Update 1. Found that B = .15
    by substituting σ1 for -σ2 and plugging in the values of 10^-4 and -10^-4 into the respective equations and added them.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted