Does the Silicon Nitride Waveguide Have a Cladding?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the evanescent field of a Silicon Nitride Waveguide (Si3N4) and whether it has a cladding or not. It is revealed that in the context of on-chip optical waveguides, it is likely that there is no cladding. The use of polyimide coating is mentioned as a possible option, but it is uncommon. The conversation also touches on the evanescent field and mode field of coupled light, with the conclusion that narrow beams will produce only evanescent field while unfocused light will produce propagation modes.
Sciencestd
Si3N4.png

Does the Silicon Nitride Waveguide (Si3N4) has a cladding ?! I read an article that they use the evanescent field of silicon-nitride waveguide.. If the answer yes it doesn't has a cladding then can I say that the evanescent field length in the surrounding medium is the mode field portion in that medium (outside the core)?!

Physics news on Phys.org
Sciencestd said:
View attachment 258037
Does the Silicon Nitride Waveguide (Si3N4) has a cladding ?! I read an article that they use the evanescent field of silicon-nitride waveguide.. If the answer yes it doesn't has a cladding then can I say that the evanescent field length in the surrounding medium is the mode field portion in that medium (outside the core)?!
If the question is in context of on-chip optical waveguide, answer is "likely no cladding". Some processes have polyimide coating over top silicon nitride, but polyimide option is uncommon.

Likes Sciencestd
Thank you so much for your answer. If we couple light into the waveguide... does the field above the surface then will be evanescent field or the mode field of the coupled light (let's say the mode field is Gaussian beam)..

Sciencestd said:
Thank you so much for your answer. If we couple light into the waveguide... does the field above the surface then will be evanescent field or the mode field of the coupled light (let's say the mode field is Gaussian beam)..
Evanescent as long as beam angular diameter is much smaller than full reflection angle.

Likes Sciencestd
Can you please explain it "Evanescent as long as beam angular diameter is much smaller than full reflection angle." Actually I'm not sure if I got it..!

Sciencestd said:
Can you please explain it "Evanescent as long as beam angular diameter is much smaller than full reflection angle." Actually I'm not sure if I got it..!
Narrow beams will produce only evanescent field above waveguide; unfocused (i.e. on-chip LED) will produce propagation modes above waveguide.

Likes Sciencestd
That's really great it's exactly solved my problem, Thank you sooo much :)

1. What is a silicon nitride waveguide?

A silicon nitride waveguide is a type of optical waveguide used in the field of photonics. It is made of a thin layer of silicon nitride, a compound of silicon and nitrogen, and is used to guide and manipulate light for various applications such as telecommunications, sensing, and integrated optics.

2. What is a cladding in a silicon nitride waveguide?

The cladding in a silicon nitride waveguide is a layer of material that surrounds the core of the waveguide, which is made of silicon nitride. The cladding has a lower refractive index than the core, which helps to confine and guide the light within the core of the waveguide.

3. How does the cladding affect the performance of a silicon nitride waveguide?

The cladding plays a crucial role in the performance of a silicon nitride waveguide. It helps to reduce the loss of light and improve the efficiency of the waveguide by confining the light within the core. It also helps to protect the core from external influences and provides mechanical support to the waveguide structure.

4. What are the benefits of using a silicon nitride waveguide with cladding?

Using a silicon nitride waveguide with cladding offers several benefits. It allows for efficient light guiding, low loss of light, and high optical confinement. It also provides mechanical stability and protection to the waveguide, making it suitable for various applications in photonics and integrated optics.

5. Are there any limitations to using a silicon nitride waveguide with cladding?

While silicon nitride waveguides with cladding have many advantages, they also have some limitations. The fabrication process can be complex and expensive, and the waveguides are sensitive to temperature changes. Additionally, the cladding material must have a lower refractive index than the core, which limits the material choices for the cladding layer.