Silicon NPN Transistor: Calculating Fermi-Level & Equilibrium Concentrations

In summary, the conversation discusses a silicum n++ p+ n transistor and its given parameters for the emitter, base, and collector. The homework assignment involves calculating the distance in eV from the fermi-level to EFi for each element and determining the electron and hole concentrations at thermal equilibrium. The purpose of these calculations is to understand the relationship between doping concentrations and energy levels.
Mr_klein

Homework Statement

we look at a silicum n++ p+ n transistor. given:

NE= 1,0×1018 cm–3;

NB= 2,0×1016 cm–3;

NC = 2,0×1015 cm–3;

here E stands for the emitter, B for the basis and C for the collector

Homework Equations

a. calculate the distance in eV from the fermi-level to EFi for the emitter the base and the collector.
b. how large is the electron concentration at thermal equilibrium in the emitter, base and collectro
c. how large is the hole concentration at thermal equilivirum in the emitter, base and collector

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't really understand this yet, I've tried looking in my books and online but i don't understand what the N stands for. i found something like a doping concentration. and that Efi is the intrinstic fermi level but i don't know how to answer the questions. can someone please help. or at least point me to something i could read that would help.
thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Those numbers are doping concentrations, yes.
Your book should have formulas how they relate to energy levels (that is the purpose of the section "2. Homework Equations ").

1. What is a Silicon NPN Transistor?

A Silicon NPN Transistor is a type of semiconductor device that consists of three layers of doped silicon, with two layers of N-type (negative) material sandwiching a layer of P-type (positive) material. This structure allows for the control of current flow between the two outer layers, known as the emitter and collector, by the middle layer, known as the base.

2. How do you calculate the Fermi-Level of a Silicon NPN Transistor?

The Fermi-Level of a Silicon NPN Transistor can be calculated using the formula: Ef = (Ei + Ec)/2, where Ef is the Fermi-Level, Ei is the intrinsic energy level, and Ec is the conduction band energy level. This calculation takes into account the energy levels of the different layers of the transistor.

3. What are equilibrium concentrations in a Silicon NPN Transistor?

Equilibrium concentrations refer to the concentrations of electrons and holes within the different layers of a Silicon NPN Transistor when it is in a stable state. These concentrations are influenced by factors such as doping levels and temperature, and can be calculated using the equations for minority carrier concentrations.

4. How can I determine the doping levels of a Silicon NPN Transistor?

The doping levels of a Silicon NPN Transistor can be determined by measuring the concentration of dopant atoms in each layer. This information, along with other parameters such as bandgap energy and thermal voltage, can be used to calculate the minority carrier concentrations and Fermi-Level, providing insight into the overall performance of the transistor.

5. What is the significance of calculating Fermi-Level & Equilibrium Concentrations in a Silicon NPN Transistor?

Calculating the Fermi-Level and equilibrium concentrations in a Silicon NPN Transistor allows for a better understanding of its behavior and performance. It can also help in the design and optimization of the transistor for specific applications, such as amplification or switching. Additionally, these calculations can provide insights into the effects of external factors on the transistor, allowing for more precise control and manipulation of its function.