1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Silicon Photonics and Quantum Computing

1. Aug 16, 2012 #1
    Hi everybody,

I am currently a final year undergraduate student studying Electronic Engineering with my focus being Silicon Photonics.

On exploring the advanced topics, I came across quantum computing and I have great interest in knowing more about it.
    Searching the web I found that some quantum computing developments are looking into the field of photonics and the feasibility of using optical devices to build the quantum computer.
    It looks what I am learning might extend to this, studying master seems an option.

Please forgive me for being ignorant, but regrettably things are a bit confusing to me at the moment.
    I do not have much knowledge in quantum mechanics; I have little ideas with what the next step could be if I would like to do research work in quantum computing.
    It requires a wide range of knowledge and in-depth understanding of several fields; things like classical computing and quantum physics sounds the important pre-requisites for any steps further.
    Do you think I should pursue my study with a master degree in Electronic Engineering, or start over with a bachelor degree in physics or computer engineering?

I understand these questions may be silly to raise and quite late for a third year student to realize......but I do hope to hear from you some advice and what are the essential things to learn.

Many thanks for your kind attention.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted