Make a Food-Safe Silicone Mold from 3D Printed Object

• Thread starter LightningInAJar
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the challenges of using Smooth-ons Sorta Clear 37 silicone material to make a mold from a 3D printed object. The material is difficult to work with, thick, and requires a vacuum chamber and pump to remove gas bubbles. The person is wondering if there is a way to create a food safe silicone material that is thinner and does not require a vacuum. Suggestions are made to shop for other products and use a vacuum pump or vacuum drawn by a venture valve. Safety precautions are also mentioned. The person also expresses their reluctance to purchase a vacuum chamber and pump.
LightningInAJar
TL;DR Summary
Are certain materials possible?
I tried using Smooth-ons Sorta Clear 37 silicone material to try to make a mold from a 3D printed object. It is very difficult to work with. Super thick (thus hard to measure and pour) and really requires vacuum chamber and vacuum pump to remove gas bubbles. Is there any conceivable way to create a food safe silicone material that starts much thinner and doesn't require a vacuum? Personally don't care if it requires a much longer cure time or more than 2 parts.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I don't know about food grade products, but you could shop around for other, thinner products that might fit your bill. There are lots of products for hobbyists. A sufficiently thin bunch of chemicals might not have the bubble problem.
A longer working might be helpful.

Being able to draw a vacuum on your materials is really helpful. But I don't think it has to be a very strong one. The lower pressure makes the bubbles larger so they float up and pop.
A cheap hand vacuum pump would probably suffice or a vacuum drawn by a venture valve.
You will need a container large enough for your product that won't implode. This is a safety issue.

You may be able to use a vacuum cleaner for initial trials.

(They even work great for collapsing inflatable beds and air mattresses. Just don't use them to maintain a vacuum, the motors burn up without the airflow.:doh:)

Likes BillTre
I absolutely do not want to buy a vacuum chamber and pump. There would be no other application afterwards for those things.

1. How do I ensure that my silicone mold is food-safe?

To ensure that your silicone mold is food-safe, you should use a food-grade silicone material and make sure that it is labeled as such. Additionally, you should thoroughly clean and dry your 3D printed object before making the mold to avoid any contamination.

2. Can I use any type of 3D printed object to make a food-safe silicone mold?

No, not all 3D printed objects are suitable for making food-safe silicone molds. You should only use food-safe materials for your 3D printed object, such as PLA or PETG, and avoid using materials that may contain harmful chemicals or toxins.

3. How do I create a smooth surface on my 3D printed object for the silicone mold?

To create a smooth surface on your 3D printed object, you can use sandpaper or a sanding sponge to gently sand down any rough or uneven areas. This will help the silicone mold to adhere better and create a more accurate mold of your object.

4. How long does it take for the silicone mold to cure?

The curing time for a silicone mold can vary depending on the type of silicone used and the size and complexity of the mold. However, on average, it can take anywhere from 24-48 hours for the silicone to fully cure and be ready for use.

5. Can I use my food-safe silicone mold for other materials besides food?

Yes, you can use your food-safe silicone mold for other materials such as resin or soap. However, it is important to thoroughly clean and sanitize the mold before switching to a different material to avoid any cross-contamination.