Silicone Super Ball: Learn About Its Properties & Chemistry

• Thread starter vaazu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ball
In summary, the conversation is about the "Silicone super ball" and the questions surrounding it. The speaker needs to educate themselves on the topic for a presentation and asks about the properties of the polymer formed when the solution is mixed. They also inquire about the effects of different conditions on the material and the equation for the reaction. They ask for examples of properties and if the polymer is atactic or isotactic. The other person suggests being more specific and explains that the process of achieving an atactic polymer may not be easily explained.
vaazu
Hello,

I have some questions about the "Silicone super ball". Heres a link for it www.flinnsci.com/Documents/demoPDFs/Chemistry/CF0758.50.pdf[/URL]
I have to make a presentation about it so I need to educate myself on the topic.
When the solution is mixed a new polymer forms, because it´s just mixing the two substances the new polymer is probably atactic and has lots of crosslinks. Am I right? The polymer formed is sometimes very brittle, soft and has low durability. But what would happen if the conditions were different (pressure, temperature, catalysts), what properties would the material then have? Probably there is a lot of different properties it can have, but can anyone give examples, they don't have to be very accurate, just to get the idea. I would be very happy if anyone could give me the exact equation to this reaction, what are the product(s) besides the polymer. If anyone has more ideas what to talk about it, I would be grateful.

Last edited by a moderator:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
You're asking a lot of questions , be more specific.

Is the polymer atactic?
if it is, how can it be achieved, probably can't be explained in a simple way?
what properties would it have if it were for example isotactic?

1. What is silicone super ball?

Silicone super ball is a type of rubber ball that is made from a material called silicone. It is known for its bouncy and elastic properties, making it a popular toy for children.

2. How is silicone super ball made?

Silicone super ball is made through a process called vulcanization, where liquid silicone rubber is mixed with a curing agent and heated. This process causes the molecules in the silicone to bond together, creating a solid and bouncy material.

3. What are the properties of silicone super ball?

Silicone super ball has many unique properties, including high elasticity, durability, and resistance to both high and low temperatures. It is also non-toxic and non-allergenic, making it safe for children to play with.

4. What is the chemistry behind silicone super ball?

Silicone super ball is made from a polymer called polydimethylsiloxane, which is composed of repeating units of silicon, oxygen, and carbon atoms. This polymer is cross-linked to create a strong and flexible material.

5. What are the common uses of silicone super ball?

Aside from being a popular toy, silicone super ball also has practical uses such as in industrial and medical applications. It is used as a sealant, adhesive, and even in breast implants due to its biocompatibility and durability. It is also commonly used in scientific experiments as a model for studying the properties of polymers.