Silly adjoint operator proof

In summary, the conversation is about proving that for operators A and B, (AB)^t is equal to (B)^t(A)^t where ^t represents the Hermitian adjoint. The conversation also mentions using matrix transposes in linear algebra and Dirac notation, but the conversation ultimately concludes that it is a simple proof using the composition of functions.
mhazelm

Homework Statement

For operators A, B, prove that (AB)^t = (B)^t(A)^t where ^t is representing the Hermitian adjoint.

I know that this should be similar to proofs I did about matrix transposes in linear algebra, but I'm not sure how to do it without seeing the operators as matrices with indices. I've been trying to do it with dirac notation but that's been confusing...

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Well... it's a long shot. I don't think this works:

<(AB)^t psi1| psi2> = ((AB)^t)* < psi1|psi2> = B^t A^t < psi1|psi2> = <psi1| B^tA^t psi2> ==> (AB)^t = B^t A^t.

I think I kind of made it up at the part with the complex conjugate, so yeah, basically I'm confused, even though this is supposed to be the easiest proof ever... :grumpy:

Physics news on Phys.org
<(AB)^T(psi1)|psi2>=<psi1|(AB)(psi2)>=<psi1|A(B(psi2))>=<A^T(psi1)|B(psi2)>. Can you continue?

aha... I wasn't sure if I was allowed to "split them up", so to speak, at the point where the A moves back to the rhs of the statement. If I'm allowed to do that I'm done! :biggrin:

oooh wait, it's just composition of functions! hehehe

1. What is a "Silly Adjoint Operator Proof"?

A "Silly Adjoint Operator Proof" is a type of mathematical proof that involves using the adjoint operator to solve a seemingly difficult or complex problem in a simple and straightforward manner.

2. How does the adjoint operator work in a "Silly Adjoint Operator Proof"?

The adjoint operator is a mathematical operation that can be used to transform a complex problem into a simpler one by taking advantage of certain properties of the original problem. This allows for a more elegant and efficient solution.

3. What types of problems can be solved using a "Silly Adjoint Operator Proof"?

Any problem that can be represented mathematically and involves the use of operators can potentially be solved using a "Silly Adjoint Operator Proof". This method is especially useful for problems that involve linear operators.

4. Are there any limitations to using a "Silly Adjoint Operator Proof"?

While "Silly Adjoint Operator Proofs" can be a powerful tool in solving mathematical problems, there are certain limitations. This method may not work for all types of problems and may require a certain level of mathematical knowledge and understanding to apply effectively.

5. Can "Silly Adjoint Operator Proofs" be used in other fields other than mathematics?

Yes, the use of adjoint operators can be applied in various fields such as physics, engineering, and finance. However, the application may vary depending on the specific field and problem at hand.