Silly but Interesting Question

• Thread starter auforum
  • Start date
Janus said:
A. He would float. He would also float if you put him anywhere within the hollow shell of the Earth. Gravitational forces cancel out at all points within a hollow sphere not just at the center.
Possibly in the hollow core you describe something different might happen. It seems to me (and I may be wrong) that the person would experience a slight centrifugal force that would hold him to the shell. I would guess that the larger the hollowed out area the more g-force pushing him to the wall as the relative velocity increases. He would feel weightless until he came into contact with the wall of the shell. This is assuming of course that the hollow still rotates with the rest of the planet.

HallsofIvy
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
kuenmao said:
He would probably be torn apart. Assuming that the Earth is hollow, gravity would act pull him outward. However, the distance between the man and the center of masses of the Earth(cut into pieces) would be much smaller than the distance between a normal person on the surface and the center of the Earth. That means that the gravitational force would be much stronger than mg. Which explains why the person would be torn apart.
Just my guess, may be wrong.
No, the mass "close" to the center of earth decreases as the cube of the distance from the center so the gravitational force decreases as r(r3/r2= r).
Assuming uniform density, the force would be equal in all directions and the "tidal force" on a "non-point" person would not be large.