Plus: Cold Flow: Is it None of the Above?

• Thread starter MedLine
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chem
In summary, the question appears to be a trick question and the answer is C.) across thermodynamic boundaries.
MedLine
Hey guys, I have a question about one of the problems on my practice chem exam for which the prof. does not give the answers to. This guy also really likes to use trick questions and so I am not sure if this is one or not. I know it is an easy one but I don't want this to be a trick question and fall for it on the test.

Homework Statement

Cold flows A.) opposite of heat B.) same direction as heat C.) across thermodynamic boundaries D.) until meeting a boundary E.) None of the above F.) All of the above

The Attempt at a Solution

I believe it is none of the above because cold is simply a measure of heat that has less energy than what it is being compared to. Basically, cold is an adjective not a noun therefore it has no flow.

Am I right about this? Thanks for all the help guys!

Medline

Physics news on Phys.org
That looks like the best option to me. Your argument is good.

What grade/level is this at?

It is college undergrad Inorganic Chem. I am a junior but I am a little bit behind (it is generally a sophmore level chem class.) I wouldn't be so concerned with this question but if it is not what he thought the answer was when he wrote the question then he will not give us points for it even with a valid and logically sound reason. Better yet, his wife is the Chairman of the chem dept. so there is nothing the students can do.

The problem with questions that do not use standard scientific terminology (like the use of 'cold' in this case), is that it eventually comes down to guessing what's in the questioner's head.

A perfectly good answer, by my reckoning, would be: "Cold" does not flow, because I've never found any mention of such a thing in any textbook.

On the other hand, it would be perfectly reasonable to define a new quantity which is proportional to a heat flux, but with a negative sign in front of it, and call this a coolness flux or some such thing. But no such definition exists currently, in standard physics, so your answer ought to be the correct one.

What is "Plus: Cold Flow: Is it None of the Above?"

"Plus: Cold Flow: Is it None of the Above?" is a research project that investigates the effects of various factors on the cold flow properties of a material, with the goal of improving its performance in low temperature environments.

Why is cold flow important in materials?

Cold flow refers to the tendency of a material to deform or change shape under low temperature conditions. This can impact the performance and reliability of the material, especially in industries such as aerospace and automotive where materials are exposed to extreme temperatures.

What factors affect the cold flow properties of a material?

There are several factors that can affect the cold flow properties of a material, including its chemical composition, molecular structure, processing methods, and environmental conditions such as temperature and pressure.

What are some potential applications of the research findings from "Plus: Cold Flow: Is it None of the Above?"

The research findings from "Plus: Cold Flow: Is it None of the Above?" can have a wide range of applications, including the development of new materials with improved cold flow resistance, better understanding of the effects of temperature on material properties, and potential solutions for mitigating cold flow in existing materials.

How will the data and results from this research project be shared with the scientific community?

The data and results from this research project will be shared through scientific publications, presentations at conferences, and potentially through open access databases. The research team also welcomes collaborations and partnerships with other scientists and organizations interested in this topic.