1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Silly Integration Question

1. Dec 20, 2008 #1
    Dear all,

Sorry for the silly integration question. I haven't done calculus in ages and my memory has got really rusty! ='(

The integral question is as follows:

[tex] \int\ (X_1-\frac{X_2}{2})^2(\frac{1}{X_2}) dX_1 [/tex]

Sorry, I could not figure out how to insert the limits on my intergral. It is from 0 to [tex]X_2[/tex].

My answer is:

= [tex] \int\ (\frac{X_1^2}{X_2}-X_1 + {\frac{X^2}{4}) dX_1 [/tex]

Which, after integrating, becomes

[tex] (\frac{X_2^2}{3}-1/2X_2^2 + X_2^2/8 ] [/tex]

In the end, I get -X2^2/24, but the answer in the book is X2^2/12. What am I doing wrong? Thanks in advance for your help!
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 20, 2008 #2
    So let me rewrite what you have:

[tex] \int_{0}^{X_2} \left( X_1 - \frac{X_2}{2}\right)^2\frac{1}{X_2} dX_1 [/tex]

Note that you can take [tex] \frac{1}{X_2} [/tex] outside of the integral since it's a constant w.r.t. [tex]X_1[/tex] (as well as taking out the [tex] \frac{1}{4}[/tex])

So expanding out the square we get:

[tex] \frac{1}{4X_2} \int_{0}^{X_2} 4X_{1}^{2} - 4X_{1}X_{2} + X_{2}^{2} dX_{1} = \frac{1}{4X_2} \left( \frac{4X_{1}^{3}}{3} - 2X_{1}^{2}X_{2} + X_{1}X_{2}^{2} \right)_{0}^{X_2} [/tex]

And finally plugging in the limits we get

[tex] \frac{1}{4X_2} \left(\frac{4}{3}X_{2}^{3} - 2X_{2}^{3} + X_{2}^{3} \right) = \frac{1}{12} X_{2}^{2} [/tex]
  4. Dec 20, 2008 #3
    Just a side note the notation that you can with limits is

\int_{a}^{b} f(x) dx or \sum_{i=0}^{n} p(x)
  5. Dec 20, 2008 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

NoMoreExams, that was nicely done but after making the point that X2 was a constant and that you can multiply the square out (or make the substitution v= X1- X2/2) it would have been better to let flying young finish the problem himself.
  6. Dec 20, 2008 #5
    Good point, I will do so in the future.
  7. Dec 21, 2008 #6
    Thank you, NoMoreExams! I finally figured out what I did wrong - a silly integration mistake! Thanks again! You have been an immense help.
  8. Dec 21, 2008 #7
    I know very much to treat X2 as a constant, but if NoMoreExams hasn't written out his steps, I wouldn't have figured out where I have gone wrong in the midst of calculations. I do understand from your stance that simply giving out the answer would do one no good. Perhaps in the future, I will be sure to write out my steps and have the pros here point out what I have done wrong. Thank you!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?