1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Silly limit of a sequence

1. Oct 14, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

find the limit and prove it using [itex]\epsilon[/itex] and [itex]N(\epsilon)[/itex] defn of limits f sequences, of this sequence:

[tex]x_n = \sqrt{n^2+n}-n[/tex]

i don't know why i'm having so much trouble with this but anyway:

3. The attempt at a solution

let's say i divined that the limit is 1/2
    we need to find [itex]N(\epsilon)[/itex] such that [itex]n>N(\epsilon)[/itex] implies

[tex] \big| \frac{1}{2} - \sqrt{n^2+n}-n \big| < \epsilon [/tex]

well above implies

[tex] \big| \frac{1}{2} - \frac{\sqrt{n^2+n}+n}{\sqrt{n^2+n}+n} \sqrt{n^2+n}-n \big| < \epsilon [/tex]

which implies

[tex] \big| \frac{1}{2} - \frac{n}{\sqrt{n^2+n}+n} \big| < \epsilon [/tex]

which implies

[tex] \big| \frac{1}{2} - \frac{n}{n\sqrt{1+\frac{1}{n}}+1} \big| < \epsilon [/tex]

which implies

[tex] \big| \frac{1}{2} - \frac{1}{\sqrt{1+\frac{1}{n}}+1} \big| < \epsilon [/tex]

which implies

[tex] \big| \frac{\sqrt{1+\frac{1}{n}}-1}{\sqrt{1+\frac{1}{n}}+1} \big| < 2\epsilon [/tex]

which implies

[tex] \big| \frac{\sqrt{1+\frac{1}{n}}-1}{\sqrt{1+\frac{1}{n}}+1} \big| < \epsilon' [/tex]

which implies

[tex] \big| \frac{\sqrt{1+\frac{1}{n}}}{\sqrt{1+\frac{1}{n}}+1} - \frac{1}{\sqrt{1+\frac{1}{n}}+1}\big| < \epsilon' [/tex]

but

[tex] \big| \frac{\sqrt{1+\frac{1}{n}}}{\sqrt{1+\frac{1}{n}}+1} - \frac{1}{\sqrt{1+\frac{1}{n}}+1}\big| < \big| 1 - \frac{1}{\sqrt{1+\frac{1}{n}}}\big| [/tex]

and by triangle inequality ( i think this is a mistake )

[tex] \big| 1 - \frac{1}{\sqrt{1+\frac{1}{n}}+1} \big| < 1 + \big| \frac{1}{\sqrt{1+\frac{1}{n}}} \big| [/tex]

back to the epsilon, above implies we need to find n such that blah blah:

[tex] 1 + \big| \frac{1}{\sqrt{1+\frac{1}{n}}} \big| < \epsilon' [/tex]

which implies

[tex] 1+ \frac{1}{n} > \frac{1}{(\epsilon - 1)^2}[/tex]

which implies:

[tex] n > \frac{ (\epsilon - 1)^2 }{1- (\epsilon - 1)^2} [/tex]

so is this valid? intuitively it doesn't look immediately wrong to me? the term on the right is positive and increasing as epsilon gets smaller...

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 15, 2009 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi ice109! :smile:

(nice LaTeX, btw, but you can make it even nicer by typing \left| and \right| for big |s :wink:)

Sorry, I lost interest less than half-way through. :redface:

Why not use the same technique at the start, by putting √(n2 + n) = n√(1 + 1/n)? :smile:

(or maybe compare it with yn = √(n2 + n + 1/4) - n :wink:)

4. Oct 15, 2009 #3
    if you hadn't lost interest you would have noticed i did do the first thing.

and your hint shows that my expression is less than 1/2 but it doesn't help me show that my sequence converges to 1/2 but that's cause i don't know quite how to use it to help me show that.

5. Oct 15, 2009 #4
    I've lost interest as well, but I think your:

[tex]
    \big| \frac{1}{2} - \sqrt{n^2+n}-n \big| < \epsilon
    [/tex]

should be:

[tex]
    \big| \frac{1}{2} - \left( \sqrt{n^2+n}-n \right) \big| < \epsilon
    [/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook