1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Silly Question Maybe?

1. Jan 13, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have a very simple question I am having problems with.

2. Relevant equations

n= C/V

3. The attempt at a solution

Hey guys,

This is a very simple equation indeed. I am a mature student and starting up in physics.
    My mathematics is terrible. So please don't laugh. I can seem to integrate and differentiate but for some reason, I have forgotten something really really really stupid.

I rearranged the above formula earlier and to solve for v and I came up with Cn=V.

I dont know why I am doing that and this, I had no problem before.

So my question is, when changing sides of an equation, how do I know which to move from one side to the other and in what order.

Do i start with numerator or denominator. And if so, what order.

I have exams coming up and im in a divorce currently and really really simple stuff has completely slipped from my brain. For obvious reasons, I cant ask this question at my university.

I am in a bit of a panic.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 13, 2014 #2
    Multiply both sides by V, and then divide both sides by n.

4. Jan 13, 2014 #3
    Cheers, but why do you move the v first and not the C???

Is it because its the bigger number or do you always move the denominator first and solve in more steps?

5. Jan 13, 2014 #4
    like why wouldn't you just move the C first??!

Thanks

6. Jan 13, 2014 #5
    And say for example I am using the Snells law formula where there is a fraction on each side of the equation.
    How do I know when changing sides whether to add to the numerator or denominator? thanks.

7. Jan 13, 2014 #6
    No worries, cross multiplication was what im looking for.

Can you believe i made it to second year astro in the top 50 uni's in the world???!

Jeeze... exams do funny things to you.

Thanks mate.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted