Math in Physics vs. Math Courses: A 92 in Cal 2

In summary, although the math used in your physics major may be harder than the math used in your math courses, you should be able to understand and do well in both. If you do well in your physics major, you will be well-prepared for the math required for graduate school or a career in physics. If you do poorly in your physics major, you may need to retake some of the math courses.
Shackleford
Will the math I use in my physics major be easier or harder than the math I use in my math courses? I just got an A in Cal 2 with a 92. Overall, I did mildly well, but obviously not perfect. I fully qualitatively understand what power series are and everything, but I guess there might be a fuzzy area or two concerning analytical evaluations of sequences and series? I don't know. Oh, also, I went the whole semester without having a solutions manual at my disposal. I will never do that again.

Or, am I worrying myself for nothing?

Physics news on Phys.org
Pfff... I got a C- in Calculus II, but I understand it all now and I never even looked over it since!

I think with a A+, you're totally fine!

JasonRox said:
Pfff... I got a C- in Calculus II, but I understand it all now and I never even looked over it since!

I think with a A+, you're totally fine!

Well, I just looked at my final exam grade, and it is an 84. I thought I did a little better, though. I think that's why I'm feeling this way.

Nah, it's fine.

You're honest with what you know and what you don't know generally, so that's a sign of good student. The stuff that you don't know will click later naturally. It's like math maturity or something.

JasonRox said:
Nah, it's fine.

You're honest with what you know and what you don't know generally, so that's a sign of good student. The stuff that you don't know will click later naturally. It's like math maturity or something.

I suppose. Thanks for the input. I emailed the professor, seeing if I could take a look at my final somehow. Heh. From what I hear, Cal 2 is a pretty difficult course and Cal 3 should be a little easier. I'm not too sure about Linear Algebra, though. I'll probably take that next summer.

What is the difference between math used in physics and math courses?

The main difference is in the application of the math. In physics, math is used to describe and explain real-world phenomena, while in math courses, the focus is on abstract concepts and problem-solving techniques.

Why is it important to have a strong understanding of math in physics?

In physics, math is the language used to express and understand the laws and principles of the natural world. Without a strong foundation in math, it can be difficult to fully comprehend and analyze complex physical concepts.

What math courses are most relevant to studying physics?

Calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations are the most relevant math courses for studying physics. These courses provide the necessary tools for solving and understanding equations and models used in physics.

How does a 92 in Cal 2 translate to success in physics?

A 92 in Cal 2 indicates a strong understanding of calculus, which is a crucial math tool in physics. This grade suggests that the student has a solid foundation in the math concepts needed for success in physics courses.

Is it necessary to have a high grade in math courses to excel in physics?

While a high grade in math courses can be an indicator of success in physics, it is not the only factor. A strong understanding of the underlying concepts and the ability to apply them is more important than just a high grade.