1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Silly question

1. Aug 12, 2009 #1
    Gradient and velocity

Just curious

Let's say I have a plane with the equation

4x + 5y + 6z = 45

If I find [tex]\nabla[/tex]F(x,y,z) and then find it's magnitude, I get the direction of steepest descent/ascent in the direction of <[tex]\partial[/tex]F(x,y,z)/[tex]\partial[/tex]x,[tex]\partial[/tex]F(x,y,z)/[tex]\partial[/tex]y, [tex]\partial[/tex]F(x,y,z)/[tex]\partial[/tex]z> and the magnitude of the vector in that direction right?

How would I find the velocity vector of a particle from the top of the plane to the bottom in the direction of the gradient vector? Would I just think of it as an inclined plane? And how is velocity related to finding the gradient?

Last edited: Aug 12, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 12, 2009 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi seamonkeydoo! Welcome to PF! :smile:
    uhh? It is an inclined plane! :confused:

Yes, the gradient vector "downhill" is the same as an actual vector "downhill".

Generally, the gradient vector of a curved surface is the same as the actual "downhill" vector of the tangent plane. :wink:
    It'll be proportional to the gradient.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook