Solving Fifth Roots of z = 1 + √2

• Thread starter dogma
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Root
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the five distinct fifth roots of a complex number, z=1+\sqrt{2}. The suggested method is to rewrite the number in the form z=(1+\sqrt{2}){\rm e}^{2\pi ni}, where n=0,1,2,... and then taking the fifth root. This results in 5 distinct roots in the form z^{1/5}=(1+\sqrt{2})^{1/5} \left \{ \cos \left ( \frac{2\pi n}{5} \right) +i \sin \left( \frac{2\pi n}{5} \right) \right \}. The conversation ends with gratitude
dogma
Here's a silly roots question that has my congested mind temporarily stumped:

Let [tex]z = 1 + \sqrt{2}[/tex]. Find the five distinct fifth roots of z.

Thanks in advance for helping me relieve the pressure.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Some of the roots are going to be complex, so the way I would tackle the problem is to rewrite your number in the form:

[tex]z=(1+\sqrt{2}){\rm e}^{2\pi ni}[/tex],

where n=0,1,2,... Then taking the fifth root gives:

[tex]z^{1/5}=(1+\sqrt{2})^{1/5} {\rm e}^{2\pi ni/5}[/tex],

which you can write in the form:

[tex]z^{1/5}=(1+\sqrt{2})^{1/5} \left \{ \cos \left ( \frac{2\pi n}{5} \right) +i \sin \left( \frac{2\pi n}{5} \right) \right \}[/tex].

Evaluating this for different n, should give 5 distinct roots.

thank you very much for the insight...I now proceed to kick myself for not seeing it on my own {sound of kicking}

Thanks!

1. What is the solution to the fifth root of z = 1 + √2?

The solution to the fifth root of z = 1 + √2 is a complex number that, when raised to the fifth power, equals 1 + √2.

2. How do you solve for the fifth root of z = 1 + √2?

To solve for the fifth root of z = 1 + √2, you can use the formula z^(1/5) = r(cos((θ + 2πk)/5) + i(sin((θ + 2πk)/5)), where r is the magnitude of z and θ is the argument of z. You can then plug in the values for r and θ to find the five possible solutions.

3. Can the fifth root of z = 1 + √2 be simplified?

Yes, the fifth root of z = 1 + √2 can be simplified to the form r(cos(θ/5) + i(sin(θ/5)), where r is the magnitude of z and θ is the argument of z.

4. Are there multiple solutions to the fifth root of z = 1 + √2?

Yes, there are five possible solutions to the fifth root of z = 1 + √2, since the fifth power of any complex number has five distinct values.

5. Can the fifth root of z = 1 + √2 be solved without using complex numbers?

No, the fifth root of z = 1 + √2 requires the use of complex numbers to find all possible solutions.