Separating Silver from Aluminum & Making Silver Nitrate

In summary, to separate silver from aluminum in a mixture, you can either try to dissolve both and precipitate one only, or dissolve only one and then filtrate whatever is left. For making silver nitrate, a molarity of HNO3 is not specified and can vary depending on whether it is for small or industrial scale, or if it is an alloy or mixture of shaves/filings. For selective dissolution of aluminum, hot aqueous 10% NaOH can be used, followed by washing and melting to obtain purified silver.
praeclarum
Let's say I have a mixture of silver and aluminum metal, and I just want the silver metal. How do I just get the silver metal and get rid of the aluminum?

Also, if I have silver metal and I want to make silver nitrate, what molarity HNO3 should I add?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Small scale or industrial scale? Alloy or mixture of shaves/filings?

In general you can either try to dissolve both and precipitate one only, or dissolve only one and then filtrate whatever is left.

No clear idea about the molarity, I would go for a stock 68%.

For a selective dissolution of aluminum leaving the silver, I might try using hot aqueous 10% NaOH. Raney nickel is made by using the NaOH reaction on an aluminum nickel alloy having at least 10% aluminum, leaving a porous nickel sponge that contains adsorbed hydrogen from the reaction of Al and NaOH (aq). The sponge is washed exhaustively with distilled water to remove the sodium aluminate and residual caustic and kept under water as it it is pyrophoric when dried. The silver analog probably won't contain the hydrogen to to make it a pyrophoric substance; a final treatment with weak HNO3 will displace more impurities, and a melting of the dross with a flux will probably be rewarded by purified silver bead...

1. How do you separate silver from aluminum?

The most common method for separating silver from aluminum is through a process called electrolysis. This involves using an electric current to break down the chemical bonds between the silver and aluminum, allowing them to be separated.

2. Can silver be extracted from silver nitrate?

Yes, silver can be extracted from silver nitrate through a process called reduction. This involves adding a reducing agent, such as copper or zinc, which reacts with the silver nitrate to produce metallic silver.

3. What is the purpose of making silver nitrate?

Silver nitrate has many practical applications, including its use in photography, as a disinfectant, and in the production of mirrors. It is also used in chemical laboratories for various experiments and tests.

4. What are the safety precautions when working with silver nitrate?

Silver nitrate is a corrosive substance and can cause skin, eye, and respiratory irritation. It is important to wear protective gear, such as gloves and a mask, when handling silver nitrate. It should also be stored in a cool, dry place and kept away from other chemicals.

5. Is it possible to make silver nitrate at home?

While it is possible to make silver nitrate at home, it is not recommended due to the dangers associated with handling the chemicals involved. It is best to purchase silver nitrate from a reputable supplier for safety reasons.