Understanding Diffraction of Light and the Silver Lining of Clouds

In summary, the conversation discusses the phenomenon of a "silver lining" in clouds, which is caused by the diffraction of light. However, there is confusion about why only the edges of the clouds appear bright while the middle part remains dark. Some speculate that the silver lining is similar to a mirage, where the diffraction of light creates a shimmering effect.
FreeZin
from what I've read .. I am supposed to learn that the silver lining which we see is due to e diffraction of light. but i don't understand how diffraction of light results in e particularly bright parts along e edge of the clouds. shouldn't e light waves spread out? such that it would also cover e 'dark parts' of e clouds? why only e edges? and why is the middle part dark?

Physics news on Phys.org
I didn't think the "silver lining" was literal?

Yea I'm not sure silver lining's are literal, but I could be wrong. I would assume the shining is similar to a mirage. You see the shine of the mirage because of the diffraction of the light, it gives it that shimmering quality.

CraigD, AMInstP
www.cymek.com

1. What is diffraction of light?

Diffraction of light is the phenomenon where light bends or spreads out as it passes through a narrow opening or around an obstacle. It is caused by the wave-like nature of light.

2. How does diffraction of light relate to the silver lining of clouds?

The silver lining of clouds is caused by diffraction of light. When sunlight passes through the edges of clouds, the light is diffracted and appears silver or golden in color.

3. What factors affect the diffraction of light?

The amount of diffraction that occurs depends on several factors, including the wavelength of the light, the size of the opening or obstacle, and the distance between the light source and the opening or obstacle.

4. Why do we see different colors in the sky during sunrise and sunset?

During sunrise and sunset, the sun's light is passing through a larger portion of the Earth's atmosphere, causing more diffraction. This results in a longer wavelength of light being scattered, giving the sky a reddish or orange color.

5. How is understanding diffraction of light important in science?

Understanding diffraction of light is important in many fields of science, including physics, astronomy, and meteorology. It allows us to explain and predict phenomena such as the silver lining of clouds, the colors of the sky, and the behavior of light in various environments.