Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Silver-Silver Electroplating

1. Aug 16, 2010 #1
    Hello, I want to electroplate silver stuff with more silver to remove the tarnish, its mainly an experiment I want to do because its always easier with Twinkle tarnish remover.

It's possible to do this with Silver Cyanide in a nitric acid solution? If yes, what should be the pH? Or should I avoid using acid solution for safety reasion i.e harmful Cyanide gases?

Thanks for replies and I really want suggestions.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 16, 2010 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Putting cyanides in acid doesn't sound good to me.

4. Aug 16, 2010 #3
    After posting this and googling some I realized I dont wanna play with Cyanides.
    You know of any other silver salt that may be useful? Would AgNO3 work?

5. Aug 16, 2010 #4

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Try a puck of aluminum in a weak solution of sodium borate.

6. Aug 16, 2010 #5

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Most recipes I remember (don't ask about details - I have seen them 30 years ago and they were in Polish) asked for baths that contained complexed cations - so I think just silver nitrate won't give a good, shiny surface.

--

7. Aug 16, 2010 #6

alxm

Science Advisor

Silver-smithing and jewelry manufacture is a popular hobby, and the stores that sell supplies for this stuff usually sell silver-plating kits. I'd recommend getting one of those. It's both safer and easier and probably cheaper.

(I've done it myself in fact. Even though I've got a degree in chemistry and could do it all 'from scratch'.. why bother?)

8. Aug 16, 2010 #7
    I guess I'll go the Twinkle way, didnt find any substitute for silver cyanide. Thinking the chemistry of it, shouldnt all Ag salts that are soluble works for this? I can seem to figure out why most doesnt work

9. Aug 16, 2010 #8

alxm

Science Advisor

Complex formation.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook