Silver-Silver Electroplating

• Thread starter Sakha
  • Start date
Hello, I want to electroplate silver stuff with more silver to remove the tarnish, its mainly an experiment I want to do because its always easier with Twinkle tarnish remover.

It's possible to do this with Silver Cyanide in a nitric acid solution? If yes, what should be the pH? Or should I avoid using acid solution for safety reasion i.e harmful Cyanide gases?

Thanks for replies and I really want suggestions.

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

Borek
Mentor
Putting cyanides in acid doesn't sound good to me.

After posting this and googling some I realized I dont wanna play with Cyanides.
You know of any other silver salt that may be useful? Would AgNO3 work?

chemisttree
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Try a puck of aluminum in a weak solution of sodium borate.

Borek
Mentor
Most recipes I remember (don't ask about details - I have seen them 30 years ago and they were in Polish) asked for baths that contained complexed cations - so I think just silver nitrate won't give a good, shiny surface.

--

alxm
Science Advisor
Silver-smithing and jewelry manufacture is a popular hobby, and the stores that sell supplies for this stuff usually sell silver-plating kits. I'd recommend getting one of those. It's both safer and easier and probably cheaper.

(I've done it myself in fact. Even though I've got a degree in chemistry and could do it all 'from scratch'.. why bother?)

I guess I'll go the Twinkle way, didnt find any substitute for silver cyanide. Thinking the chemistry of it, shouldnt all Ag salts that are soluble works for this? I can seem to figure out why most doesnt work

alxm
Science Advisor
Complex formation.