How can a mirror be front silvered or back silvered?

• Thread starter ananthu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mirror
In summary, the conversation is about the difference between back silvered and front silvered mirrors, and how to determine which surface is which. The difference lies in the nature of the image formation, with the convex surface silvered and concave surface silvered mirrors having different effects. However, the question remains about how to make a front silvered mirror and the purpose for using it, such as for Lloyd's single mirror experiment. The expert is seeking clarification on the method for creating a front silvered mirror.
ananthu

Homework Statement

Still I could not make the exact difference between the back silvered and the front silvered mirror. In many web sites only the method of making a back silvered mirror is given.
My doubt is-"what makes the deposit back silvered or front silvered?". How will you say that this surface of a transparent glass sheet is a front one and the other is the back one? After depositing the silver on anyone surface of a glass and place it upside down will it not become a back silvered one and if you keep it in the upright position will not the same act as a front silvered one? Please don't laugh at my question as it may sound trivial to the professional experts in the field of optics. Will anyone enlighten me on this question?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Instead of saying the back silvered and the front silvered mirror, you can say the convex surface silvered and the concave surface silvered mirror. In each case nature of the image formation is different.

Thank you for your reply. But your reply has not answered my question. I actually talk about plane glass mirrors. It is said that for ordinary domestic purpose a back silvered mirror is sufficient where as for experiments such as Lloyd's single mirror experiment, we have to use a front silvered mirror because in a back silvered mirror double reflection occurs. My doubt is about "how to make a front silvered one?"

Q: What is the process of silvering a mirror?

The process of silvering a mirror involves depositing a thin layer of silver onto the surface of a glass or metal substrate. This is typically done through a chemical reaction involving a reducing agent and a silver nitrate solution, followed by a protective topcoat to prevent tarnishing.

Q: Why is silver used for mirrors?

Silver is used for mirrors because it has a high reflectivity, meaning it can reflect a large amount of light. It also has a bright, clear appearance which makes it ideal for creating a reflective surface.

Q: How does silvering improve the reflectivity of a mirror?

Silvering improves the reflectivity of a mirror by creating a smooth, uniform surface that allows light to bounce off at the same angle it hits the mirror. This results in a clear and bright reflection compared to other materials that may have a rough or uneven surface.

Q: Can other materials besides silver be used for mirrors?

Yes, other materials such as aluminum, gold, and copper can also be used for mirrors. However, silver is the most commonly used material due to its high reflectivity, availability, and relatively low cost.

Q: How long does silvering on a mirror last?

The longevity of silvering on a mirror depends on various factors such as the quality of the silvering process, the environment in which the mirror is kept, and the handling and cleaning of the mirror. With proper care, a silvered mirror can last for decades without losing its reflectivity.