1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Silvering of Plano-Convex Lens

1. Dec 28, 2014 #1
    If the plane surface of a plano-convex lens in silvered then which of the following statements is true?

1. it acts like a convex mirror
    2. it acts like a concave mirror
    3. it acts like a concave lens
    4. no change

my attempt---

the incident ray on the convex surface of the plano-convex will first converge (refract) then reflect from silvered plane surface towards the first surface and then from there it will diverge (refract again) towards the incident side only.

so i came to a conclusion that the combination is diverging on the same side as object and thus it acts like a Convex Mirror

but my book give the answer as a concave mirror and the same answer i get after browsing the net but could not find a proper explanation for it

can someone please help me out asap as my exams are pretty much close now.....

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 28, 2014 #2
  4. Dec 28, 2014 #3

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

5. Dec 29, 2014 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Are you sure? In your diagram, make sure you draw quite modest refractions so that you don't confuse yourself.

6. Dec 29, 2014 #5
    @haruspex i think i kind of get what you want to say that angle of refraction are not very much large.....
    so the diagram given above by @ehild would be an ideal diagram
    and going by it it is pretty much clear that the incident rays converge on the same side on a point on the pricipal axis and hence it acts like a Concave Mirror
    confirm it if you agree.....

7. Dec 29, 2014 #6

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Yes.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted