Silvering of Plano-Convex Lens

In summary, when a plane surface of a plano-convex lens is silvered, it acts like a concave mirror. This is because the incident ray on the convex surface first converges and then reflects from the silvered plane surface towards the first surface, causing it to diverge towards the incident side. This results in a combination that is diverging on the same side as the object, making it act like a concave mirror. This can be seen in diagrams and confirmed through further research.
sarthak sharma
If the plane surface of a plano-convex lens in silvered then which of the following statements is true?

1. it acts like a convex mirror
2. it acts like a concave mirror
3. it acts like a concave lens
4. no changemy attempt---

the incident ray on the convex surface of the plano-convex will first converge (refract) then reflect from silvered plane surface towards the first surface and then from there it will diverge (refract again) towards the incident side only.

so i came to a conclusion that the combination is diverging on the same side as object and thus it acts like a Convex Mirror

but my book give the answer as a concave mirror and the same answer i get after browsing the net but could not find a proper explanation for itcan someone please help me out asap as my exams are pretty much close now...

Physics news on Phys.org
sarthak sharma said:
from there it will diverge (refract again) towards the incident side only.
Are you sure? In your diagram, make sure you draw quite modest refractions so that you don't confuse yourself.

haruspex said:
Are you sure? In your diagram, make sure you draw quite modest refractions so that you don't confuse yourself.

@haruspex i think i kind of get what you want to say that angle of refraction are not very much large...
so the diagram given above by @ehild would be an ideal diagram
and going by it it is pretty much clear that the incident rays converge on the same side on a point on the pricipal axis and hence it acts like a Concave Mirror
confirm it if you agree...

sarthak sharma said:
@haruspex i think i kind of get what you want to say that angle of refraction are not very much large...
so the diagram given above by @ehild would be an ideal diagram
and going by it it is pretty much clear that the incident rays converge on the same side on a point on the pricipal axis and hence it acts like a Concave Mirror
confirm it if you agree...
Yes.

1. What is the purpose of silvering a plano-convex lens?

The purpose of silvering a plano-convex lens is to enhance its reflective properties. By coating one side of the lens with a thin layer of silver, the lens becomes more reflective, allowing for better light manipulation and focusing.

2. How is the silvering process done?

The silvering process involves depositing a thin layer of silver onto the surface of the lens. This can be done through various methods such as vacuum deposition, electroplating, or chemical deposition. The silver layer is then coated with a protective layer to prevent oxidation and damage.

3. What are the benefits of silvering a plano-convex lens?

The main benefit of silvering a plano-convex lens is improved reflectivity, which can greatly enhance the lens' ability to focus and manipulate light. Additionally, silvering can also increase the lens' durability and resistance to scratches and other damage.

4. Are there any limitations to silvering a plano-convex lens?

One limitation of silvering a plano-convex lens is that it can only be done on one side of the lens. This means that the lens will only be reflective on one side, which may limit its use in certain applications. Additionally, the silvering process can also be expensive and time-consuming.

5. How can I tell if a plano-convex lens has been silvered?

A silvered plano-convex lens will have a reflective surface on one side, usually with a shiny or metallic appearance. The other side of the lens will have a clear or matte surface. You can also check for a slight yellow or green tint on the silvered side, which is a result of the protective layer used during the silvering process.