Are These Two Reaction Mechanisms for the Same Reaction?

• Thread starter OmiChem
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reaction
In summary: I know that the rate determining step for the fast reaction is the I- concentration. The rate determining step for the slow reaction is the Cl- concentration.
OmiChem
I'm given two reaction mechanisms, both are supposedly for the same reaction and I'm asked to prove it. The reaction mechanisms are:

OCl- + H2O --> HOCl + OH- (medium speed)
HOCl + I- --> HOI + Cl- (slow)
HOI + OH- --> H2O + OI- (fast)

OCl- + H2O --> HOCl + OH- (slow speed)
HOCl + I- --> ICl + OH- (medium)
ICl + 2OH- --> OI- + Cl- + H2O (fast)

I'm guessing that since the original reactants are the same for both and they both form OI- and water as a product, they are the same.. the only difference I can see is that the chlorine ion is separated in a different step, which causes a difference in the rate of that elementary reaction. Also, the rate expression for the final reaction: Rate = k[I-] SHOULD be right, but I'm not sure if it is.. I- seems to be the ion that affects the rate but I'm a little behind on my organic chem so I need some help...thx ahead of time

Chemistry news on Phys.org
You are required to prove that they pertain to the same overall reaction ?

In both cases, find the net reaction by simply adding the parts. What do you get ?

Oh, sorry, i should of explained more.. there are three parts to the question.. the first is to show that both are for the same reaction, I should of known that, sorry slipped my mind totally to use the net equation... wow lol. Other than that, I am given the rate expression and asked questions about changes such as tripling the I- concentration and such, i do not need help with that. It then proceeds to ask me which mechanism is correct. This i don't understand. How do i figure out which of the mechanisms is correct...if both are for the same reaction, aren't they both correct?

No, they won't both be correct. I can make up a bogus mechanism for the same reaction, and it would definitely be wrong. You determine the correct mechanism by looking at the rate equation. According the the opening post, Rate = k[I-] is the given rate equation.

What do you know about rate determining steps ?

What are similar reaction mechanisms?

Similar reaction mechanisms refer to a set of chemical reactions that share common intermediates and transition states, leading to similar end products.

Why is it important to study similar reaction mechanisms?

Studying similar reaction mechanisms allows scientists to make predictions about the behavior of new reactions based on existing knowledge. It also helps in the design of more efficient and selective reactions.

How can similar reaction mechanisms be identified?

Similar reaction mechanisms can be identified through experimental data, theoretical calculations, and comparison of structural and electronic properties of the molecules involved in the reactions.

What are the advantages of understanding similar reaction mechanisms?

Understanding similar reaction mechanisms allows scientists to propose new reaction pathways and develop new synthetic routes for desired products. It also aids in the development of more robust and sustainable chemical processes.

What are some examples of similar reaction mechanisms?

Examples of similar reaction mechanisms include SN1 and SN2 substitution reactions, E1 and E2 elimination reactions, and Diels-Alder and 1,3-dipolar cycloaddition reactions.