1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Similar Reaction Mechanisms

1. Jun 12, 2005 #1
    I'm given two reaction mechanisms, both are supposedly for the same reaction and I'm asked to prove it. The reaction mechanisms are:

OCl- + H2O --> HOCl + OH- (medium speed)
    HOCl + I- --> HOI + Cl- (slow)
    HOI + OH- --> H2O + OI- (fast)

OCl- + H2O --> HOCl + OH- (slow speed)
    HOCl + I- --> ICl + OH- (medium)
    ICl + 2OH- --> OI- + Cl- + H2O (fast)

I'm guessing that since the original reactants are the same for both and they both form OI- and water as a product, they are the same.. the only difference I can see is that the chlorine ion is separated in a different step, which causes a difference in the rate of that elementary reaction. Also, the rate expression for the final reaction: Rate = k[I-] SHOULD be right, but i'm not sure if it is.. I- seems to be the ion that affects the rate but I'm a little behind on my organic chem so I need some help...thx ahead of time

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 12, 2005 #2

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You are required to prove that they pertain to the same overall reaction ?

In both cases, find the net reaction by simply adding the parts. What do you get ?

4. Jun 12, 2005 #3
    Oh, sorry, i should of explained more.. there are three parts to the question.. the first is to show that both are for the same reaction, I should of known that, sorry slipped my mind totally to use the net equation... wow lol. Other than that, I am given the rate expression and asked questions about changes such as tripling the I- concentration and such, i do not need help with that. It then proceeds to ask me which mechanism is correct. This i dont understand. How do i figure out which of the mechanisms is correct...if both are for the same reaction, aren't they both correct?

5. Jun 13, 2005 #4

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No, they won't both be correct. I can make up a bogus mechanism for the same reaction, and it would definitely be wrong. You determine the correct mechanism by looking at the rate equation. According the the opening post, Rate = k[I-] is the given rate equation.

What do you know about rate determining steps ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?