Similar triangles, looking for demonstration

In summary, the theorem of similar triangles states that for two similar triangles ABC and A'B'C', the ratios of corresponding sides are equal, meaning that A/a=C/c=B/b. This can be proven using trigonometric functions, or by using the Pythagorean theorem and some algebraic manipulation. The theorem holds true for any triangles, as they can be decomposed into two right triangles.
Werg22
I need an algebric proof of the theorem of similar triangles (C/c=A/a=B/b).

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Proof of what exactly?

TD said:
Proof of what exactly?

For two similar triangles, that A/a=C/c=B/b.

I take it you mean the sides with A,B,C and a,b,c?

Your proof would depend on who you define similar triangles, I assume that's saying that the corresponding angles of both triangles are the same.

wouldnt the proof be something like this

Sin A / a = Sin B /b = Sin C / c

mathmike said:
wouldnt the proof be something like this

Sin A / a = Sin B /b = Sin C / c

Well trigonometric functions don't proove the theorem, they are a product of it so it is not really a proof... Anyway I'm putting my mind into it and I hope to find why it is so.

Werg,

Your problem is actually pretty straightforward but the question I have for you is "What have you tried so far?" This sounds like a homework problem.

I was finally able to proove it. Here is my solution, but perhaps there is simplest one and I would like someone to show it...

1.Two similar right triangles of sides a,b,c and x,y,z.

The following is true:

(c+z)^2=(a+x)^2+(b+y)^2
c^2 + z^2 + 2cz=a^2 + x^2 + 2xa + b^2 + y^2 + 2by
Since c^2=a^2 + b^2, and z^2=x^2 + y^2,
2cz=2xa + 2by
cz=xa + by
For simplifying purpose, square the equation;

(cz)^2=(xa + by)^2
then
(cz)^2=(xa + by)^2

(x^2 + y^2)(a^2 + b^2)=(xa + by)^2

(ax)^2 + (xb)^2 + (ay)^2 + (by)^2=(ax)^2 + (by)^2 + 2xaby

So

(xb)^2 + (ay)^2 - 2xaby = 0

Factorising, we find that

(xb-ay)^2=0
xb=ay
y/b=x/a

To proove that z/c=x/a=y/b,

x/a=y/b
y=bx/a
and
b=ay/x

(z/c)^2=(x^2 + y^2)/(a^2 + b^2);
(z/c)^2=(x^2 + (bx/a)^2)/(a^2 + (ay/x)^2)
(z/c)^2=(x^2(1+(b/a)^2)/(a^2((y/x)^2 + 1)

Since we know that b/a=y/x, we obtain the result
(z/c)^2=(x/a)^2
z/c=x/a=y/b

Since any triangle can be decomposed into two right triangles, it is easy to prove that the rule is general.

Last edited:

1. What are similar triangles?

Similar triangles are two triangles that have the same shape, but not necessarily the same size. This means that the corresponding angles of the two triangles are equal and the corresponding sides are in proportion to each other.

2. How do you determine if two triangles are similar?

To determine if two triangles are similar, you can use the AA similarity postulate, which states that if two angles of one triangle are congruent to two angles of another triangle, then the triangles are similar. You can also use the SSS and SAS similarity theorems to determine similarity.

3. What is the importance of similar triangles in geometry?

Similar triangles are important in geometry because they allow us to solve for unknown values in a triangle by using proportions. They also help us understand the relationships between angles and sides in different shapes and can be used in various real-world applications, such as finding the height of a building using similar triangles.

4. Can you provide an example of a real-world application of similar triangles?

One example of a real-world application of similar triangles is using them to calculate the height of a tree or building. By measuring the shadow of the object and the shadow of a known object at the same time, we can create a proportion and solve for the height of the object.

5. How can we visually demonstrate the concept of similar triangles?

There are several ways to visually demonstrate similar triangles. One way is to use tracing paper or a transparency to overlay two triangles and show that they have the same angles and proportions. Another way is to use a ruler and protractor to construct similar triangles and compare their angles and sides. You can also use a scale drawing or a computer program to show the concept of similarity.