Scaling Polynomial Functions for Water Bottle Design

In summary, for an assignment, the individual needs to design three water bottles using three different polynomial functions, with capacities of 600ml, 300ml, and 1L respectively. The volume is calculated by rotating the function around the axis. The first bottle was successfully created using a quadratic, linear, and cubic function, with a final volume of 603ml. However, the individual is having trouble scaling the functions to create the other two bottles. They have realized that to reduce the volume to 300ml, they will need to multiply the lengths by 1/\sqrt[3]{2}.
HalcyonStorm

Homework Statement

For an assignment, I'm required to design three water bottle using 3 different polynomial functions. I've used a linear, quadratic and cubic. The first bottle needs to be 600ml, the second 300ml, and the third 1L.

In order to 'create' the bottles, we are to calculate the volume (really the area) between the function and the x-axis as if the bottle were 3D, by rotating it around the axis.

I had no trouble with the first part; I've created my 600ml bottle using the following functions across the given intervals:

1. Quadratic function
f(x) = (-1/24)*(x-6)^2 + 4, from x = 0 to x = 6

2. Linear function
f(x) = 4, from x = 6 to x = 10

3. Cubic function
f(x) = (-3/128)*(x-10)^3 + 4, from x = 10 to x = 14

When these three functions are rotated, the calculated area is approximately 603ml, which is spot on (we are allowed to have a 10% variation from 600ml).

Now, here's the part where I am having trouble. In order to create the new bottles, I wish to scale the functions that I already have down or up, to create bottles of 300ml and 1L.

Homework Equations

Volume of revolution: V = ∏[itex]\int^{b}_{a}y^{2}dx[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I've realized that, obviously, to halve the volume to 300ml I will need to take half of V = ∏[itex]\int^{b}_{a}y^{2}dx[/itex]. However, I have not been able to work out how to retrograde this change to my original functions. I'm starting to get frustrated!

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Since volume is proportional to a length cubed, to reduce a volume to 1/2 you will have to multiply lengths by [itex]1/\sqrt[3]{2}[/itex].

What is a volume of revolution?

A volume of revolution is a three-dimensional shape that is formed by rotating a two-dimensional shape around an axis. This results in a solid shape with rotational symmetry.

What does it mean for two volumes of revolution to be similar?

Two volumes of revolution are considered similar if they have the same shape and proportions, but possibly different sizes. This means that the two shapes have the same cross-sectional area at every point along the axis of rotation.

How do you calculate the volume of a volume of revolution?

The volume of a volume of revolution can be calculated using the formula V = π∫(f(x))^2dx, where π is pi, f(x) is the function that defines the two-dimensional shape, and the integral is taken over the boundaries of the shape.

What is an example of a volume of revolution in real life?

An example of a volume of revolution in real life is a soda can. The can is formed by rotating a rectangle around its axis, creating a cylindrical shape with rotational symmetry.

What are some real-world applications of understanding similar volumes of revolution?

Understanding similar volumes of revolution is important in fields such as engineering, architecture, and physics. It can be used to design and analyze structures such as bridges and buildings, as well as to determine the volume of objects in physics experiments.