1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Similarity measure of unlike-size matrices

1. Jan 7, 2010 #1
    Hi,

When two matrices don't have the same size, it's difficult to find a measure expressing the amount of similarity. For same-size matrices, the correlation is often used. One possibility for unlike-size matrices is the use of the Peak to correlation energy, defined as:

[itex]
    P=\frac{\rho(s_{peak} ; X, Y)^2}{c\sum_{s} (\rho(s; X, Y))^2},
    [/itex]

where rho is the normalized cross correlation and s denotes the shift (over x and y), which runs over all possible indexes. Finally, c is a constant (not of interest atm), and s_peak denotes the maximum value (i.e. the vector by which the template was shifted).
    This can easily be calculated in Matlab, but for large matrices (template and image > 10^6 elements) this becomes very slow.
    I read in a paper that this can be rewritten as dot products, as the normalization of the normalized cross product cancels out:

[itex]
    P=\frac{ ((X-\bar{X})\cdot (Y(s_{peak})-\bar{Y}))^2 }{c\sum((X-\bar{X})\cdot (Y(s)-\bar{Y}))^2}
    [/itex]

But I don't understand this, as X and Y may be different sizes, so that the dot product cannot be calculated.

So am I stuck with the (slow) normalized cross-correlation, or are there maybe different performance measures that I could use to express the similarity of unlike-size matrices?

2. jcsd
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted