Find the Shared y=0 Value for Three Simultaneous Equations | Homework Example

• Thread starter turnip
  • Start date
In summary, Hootenanny and Tedjn are trying to find the lowest common multiple of the three equations. It is important to note that ni is an integer.
turnip

Homework Statement

Three equations (as seen in the relevant equations section) have a y value of 0 when they initially begin at x=0. If x is measured in complete days, how many days will it be before these three functions once again share the y=0 value?

Homework Equations

y = sin (2piex/23)
y = sin (2piex/28)
y = sin (2piex/33)

The Attempt at a Solution

well these equations must all equal 0, therefore y = sin (2piex/23) = sin (2piex/28) = sin (2piex/33) = 0

as to how to manipulate that to get the desired answer, iam not too sure since I've never done it with three equations before.
i'd appreciate any help :)

Physics news on Phys.org
HINT: For what values of the argument is sine zero?

well if we are talking radians: pie and 2pie (then obviously continuing on with 3pie, 4 pie,etc)

not quite seeing what your getting at though
unless y = pie or something
and thanks for replying :)

Last edited:
turnip said:
well if we are talking radians: pie and 2pie (then obviously continuing on with 3pie, 4 pie,etc)
Correct. So from,

[tex]\sin\left(\frac{2\pi x}{23}\right) = \sin\left(\frac{2\pi x}{28}\right) = \sin\left(\frac{2\pi x}{33}\right) = 0[/tex]

We can deduce that,

[tex]\frac{2\pi x }{23} = \frac{2\pi x }{28} = \frac{2\pi x }{33} = n\pi \hspace{2cm}, n\in\mathbb{Z}[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow \frac{2}{23}x = \frac{2}{28}x = \frac{2}{33} x= n \hspace{2cm}, n\in\mathbb{Z}[/tex]

Which in words means that "for which value of x makes all the quotients into integers"?

i understand how you derive that mathematically, but can't think as how to solve for it since it says that 2x/23 = 2x/28 which, the way iam looking at it, means that 23 = 28

What Hootenanny is saying is not really

[tex]\frac{2\pi x }{23} = \frac{2\pi x }{28} = \frac{2\pi x }{33} = n\pi \text{ where } n\in\mathbb{Z}[/tex]

but

[tex]\frac{2\pi x}{23} = n_1\pi; \frac{2\pi x}{28} = n_2\pi; \frac{2\pi x}{33} = n_3\pi \text{ where } n_1, n_2, n_3 \in \mathbb{Z}[/tex]

The integers n1, n2, and n3 will not be equal, except at x = 0 (in which case they all equal 0), but what is important is that they are all integers, because sine of any multiple of [itex]\pi[/itex] will equal 0.

What values of x > 0 will make n1, n2, and n3 all integers? Which is the smallest?

how do i find that out with three equations though?

The equations we gave you are the three equations. Each one has two variables, x and ni, so you cannot find unique answers. However, it is important to note that ni is an integer. What values of x give integer values of each ni? What is the smallest? Try to think it out logically.

okay, so 2piex/23 = n1

3.660563691=x for n1=1

4.456338407=x for n2=1

5.252113122=x for n3=1

right, so i am to find the lowest common multiple inorder to find at what value of x is when all values of y=0

i know how to do lowest common multiple, for the long way, but i have a feeling this will go on for a while before the three cross paths. What's the simplist way to work out the LCM in this instance?

You are right, you do need to find the LCM. It would be difficult if there was a [itex]\pi[/itex] in there. Luckily, you wrote down the equations wrong. They are actually

[tex]\frac{2\pi x}{23} = n_1\pi; \frac{2\pi x}{28} = n_2\pi; \frac{2\pi x}{33} = n_3\pi[/tex]​

Look at what happens to [itex]\pi[/itex].

right, thanks for pulling me up on that. so

2/23 = 0.086956521 x=11.5000001
2/28 = 0.071428571 x= 14.00000008
2/33 = 0.06060606 x= 16.50000017

so now iam to do the tedious job of multiplying them out until i find one where all the x's equal the same. is there any easier way of doing that? because this is going to go on for a while even now pie isn't involved.

i get it. so x=2656.50006565

which is the LCM of the three numbers

right, thanks a lot Hootenanny and Tedjn :)
and thanks for your patients

1. What is the purpose of finding the shared y=0 value for three simultaneous equations?

The purpose of finding the shared y=0 value for three simultaneous equations is to determine the point where all three equations intersect on the coordinate plane. This point represents a solution to all three equations and can be used to solve the system of equations.

2. How do you find the shared y=0 value for three simultaneous equations?

To find the shared y=0 value for three simultaneous equations, you can use the substitution method or the elimination method. In the substitution method, you solve one equation for either x or y and then substitute that value into the other two equations. In the elimination method, you manipulate the equations to eliminate one variable and then solve for the remaining variable.

3. What if the shared y=0 value does not exist for three simultaneous equations?

If the shared y=0 value does not exist for three simultaneous equations, it means that the three equations do not intersect at a single point. This indicates that the system of equations has no solution, and the equations are considered inconsistent.

4. Can you use the shared y=0 value to solve the system of equations?

Yes, the shared y=0 value can be used to solve the system of equations. Once you have determined the coordinates of the point of intersection, you can substitute those values into the original equations to solve for the remaining variable.

5. Are there any real-life applications for finding the shared y=0 value for three simultaneous equations?

Yes, there are many real-life applications for finding the shared y=0 value for three simultaneous equations. For example, it can be used in physics to determine the intersection of multiple linear functions, in finance to solve for the break-even point of a business, and in engineering to find the optimal solution for a system of equations representing various constraints.