Simon and Garfunkel like songs?

• Thread starter pivoxa15
  • Start date
In summary, the songs that are similar to the great hits of Simon and Garfunkel include the Everly Brothers, the Sweethearts of the Rodeo, Brewer and Shipley, and Marc Cohn. Some of these songs have music that is instantly recognizable and others have a more classic sound.
pivoxa15
What are some songs that are similar to the great hits of Simon and Garfunkel?

Physics news on Phys.org
That's tough! Their voices were a perfect match and Simon's song-writing was inspired.

If you want to back up a bit, the Everly Brothers had perfect harmonies, though their songs were often more than a bit sappy. Fast-forward to the Sweethearts of the Rodeo for those tight Everly Brothers harmonies with Nashville/country songs. "Midnight Girl in a Sunset Town" is a great one.

Last edited by a moderator:
turbo-1 said:
That's tough! Their voices were a perfect match and Simon's song-writing was inspired.

If you want to back up a bit, the Everly Brothers had perfect harmonies, though their songs were often more than a bit sappy. Fast-forward to the Sweethearts of the Rodeo for those tight Everly Brothers harmonies with Nashville/country songs. "Midnight Girl in a Sunset Town" is a great one.

It could just be me but the song in the youtube dosen't seem 'big'. I was looking for 'big' songs like 'Bridge over trouble waters', 'Mrs Robinson', 'Sound of silence'. Everly Brothers had some of those.

'Big' may not be good word to describe those songs. Its just that those songs I pointed out have music that one instaneously 'recognise' and enjoy. It's hard to say. Some of the famous classical musics by Bethovan or Mozart are like that as well.

I know what you mean. S&G's voices were always up-front, and the instrumentation was always crafted to frame that. Hard to find that quality in later work. You might want to sample some Brewer and Shipley stuff, though the song-writing does not approach S&G, IMO.

pivoxa15 said:
It could just be me but the song in the youtube dosen't seem 'big'. I was looking for 'big' songs like 'Bridge over trouble waters', 'Mrs Robinson', 'Sound of silence'. Everly Brothers had some of those.

'Big' may not be good word to describe those songs. Its just that those songs I pointed out have music that one instaneously 'recognise' and enjoy. It's hard to say. Some of the famous classical musics by Bethovan or Mozart are like that as well.

Perhaps you're interested in the "name that music" thread. Now why did that die?

Some of the Rolling Stones rock ballads would be on a par as would the likes of Battle of Evermore by Led Zeppelin

turbo-1 said:
I know what you mean. S&G's voices were always up-front, and the instrumentation was always crafted to frame that. Hard to find that quality in later work. You might want to sample some Brewer and Shipley stuff, though the song-writing does not approach S&G, IMO.

They weren't over produced. Something you can't say about Paul Simon's later work.

I'd say Eric Taylor's "Dean Moriarty" and "Saturday" are like that. They grab you right off the bat and I kind of felt like I'd heard the "Dean Moriarty" song before the first time I heard it. (Of course, I might have - he was a band member and husband to Nanci Griffith and played or wrote a few songs for some other artists before he finally made an album in '95.)

I guess if I were to pick a songwriter with a fantastic voice and great production values, I'd pick Marc Cohn. Boz Scagg's "Come on Home" CD gets a lot of play, too, as does Dwight Yoakum's "This Time". Yoakum's producer is his lead guitarist - killer licks.

umm...

The Beatles?

Funny, there is a song being played a lot at the moment, and every time I hear it I expect it to break into the 'li la li' chorus of Simon and Garfunkle's the boxer. It sounds a bit the same, but isn't as powerful (big?), doesn't have the harmonies, nor quite as narrative, but does have similar a similar gentle melody and folksy guitar.

For many of those other things, maybe the Mamas and Papas?

pivoxa15 said:

Queen was really big on drama and production and were even known to incorporate classical music, though their lyrics tended to be a bit more idiosynchratic. As already mentioned, there are many songs in the Beatles' catalog that fit your description and I would recommend Abbey Road in particular. Also, Oasis, who I sometimes consider to be the poor man's classic rock, had a number of epic tracks that were also very catchy (e.g. All Around the World, The Masterplan).

More recently, the Decembrists have made a name for themselves making epic tunes with a more traditional flavor. Might be worth a listen.

Try some Moxy Fruvous or Flying Pickets, both vocally very strong, even a-capellesque (ouch!).

J77 said:
umm...

The Beatles?

They have a few good ones but their songs cater for the mass population whereas I feel S&G are catered for a smaller population (the educated?? as both S and G were educated in university). Or maybe the sensitive?

Last edited:
pivoxa15 said:
They have a few good ones but their songs cater for the mass population whereas I feel S&G are catered for a smaller population (the educated?? as both S and G were educated in university). Or maybe the sensitive?
Bridge Over Troubled Waters was in the album charts for years! S & G had a huge following from all walks of life.

Art said:
Bridge Over Troubled Waters was in the album charts for years! S & G had a huge following from all walks of life.

Offcourse but compare them to the Beatles...

Maybe Savage Garden is like a modern version of S&G.

besides the Everly Brothers, Beatles, Queen, & others mentioned, there's...
Peter, Paul, and Mary
some of The Fifth Dimension
some of the Mamas and the Papas
Crosby, Stills, Nash (& Young)
The Hollies

http://www.livevideo.com/video/9596E37147DC4D5D8198233CF67F25FE/michael-junior-you-ll-never-.aspx

pivoxa15 said:
You can't say that! :biggrin:

Not all "educated" people have attended university.

If you want some "sciency" type songs -- with a bit of pretention -- maybe check out the Flaming Lips: The Soft Bulletin.

Back to artists who have stood the test of time... Bowie! (A favourite among many academics I know -- perhaps he fits your "educated" category :wink:)

The Kings of Convenience are the closest comtempory band, I reckon.

Not sure how he was educated, but I just remembered a fact that others here might find interesting if it hasn't been mentioned before, that the father of the singer and songwriter of the Eels, Mark Oliver Everett, was Hugh Everett, who proposed MWI.

edit: now I remember where I heard this, it was on an ad for this show, that I haven't seen.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/7113098.stm

1. What is the meaning behind the lyrics of Simon and Garfunkel songs?

The meaning behind Simon and Garfunkel songs can vary, as their lyrics often touch on themes such as love, social issues, and personal struggles. Some songs, like "The Sound of Silence" and "Bridge Over Troubled Water," have deeper and more metaphorical meanings, while others, such as "Mrs. Robinson" and "Cecilia," are more lighthearted and playful. Ultimately, the meaning of their songs is open to interpretation and can be different for each listener.

2. How did Simon and Garfunkel come up with their distinct harmonies?

Simon and Garfunkel's harmonies were a result of their natural vocal chemistry and years of practice and refinement. They began singing together in high school and continued to work on their harmonies throughout their career, experimenting with different arrangements and techniques. Their harmonies were also influenced by folk and gospel music, as well as the Beatles' vocal style.

3. What impact did Simon and Garfunkel have on the music industry?

Simon and Garfunkel had a significant impact on the music industry, especially in the folk and acoustic rock genres. They were one of the most successful folk duos of the 1960s, and their music continues to be influential today. Their use of poetic lyrics and intricate harmonies paved the way for other artists, and their songs have been covered by numerous musicians over the years.

4. How did Simon and Garfunkel's music evolve over time?

Simon and Garfunkel's music evolved significantly throughout their career. They started as a folk duo in the 1960s, with their early albums featuring mostly acoustic and traditional folk songs. As they gained popularity, they began incorporating more instrumentation and experimenting with different sounds. Their later albums, like "Bridge Over Troubled Water," also featured more complex and introspective lyrics.

5. Are Simon and Garfunkel still performing together?

No, Simon and Garfunkel are no longer performing together. After their split in 1970, they reunited for a few tours and performances in the 1980s and 1990s, but have not performed together since 2010. However, both Paul Simon and Art Garfunkel continue to pursue solo music careers.