Solve Simple Force Question: Acceleration, Tension

• Thread starter Sheneron
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary, the problem involves a 2.00 kg object connected to a 7.00 kg object by a string over a pulley. The goal is to find the acceleration of the objects and the tension in the string. The solution uses two equations with two unknowns and determines the acceleration to be -7.62, causing confusion about the negative value. However, it is clarified that the value of g is always positive, and the negative sign is used to indicate direction.
Sheneron
[SOLVED] Simpe Force Question

Homework Statement

A 2.00 kg object placed on a frictionless, horizontal table is connected to a string that passes over a pulley and then is fastened to a hanging 7.00 kg object, as in Figure P5.24. Find the magnitude of the acceleration of the two objects and the tension in the string.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have a specific question about this problem that I came upon at the end. Here is how I solved it.

[tex]T = m_1a[/tex]
[tex]-T + m_2g = m_2a[/tex]
So two equations to uknowns, and here is what I got.
[tex]-m_1a + m_2g = m_2a[/tex]
[tex]a = \frac{m_2g}{(m_1+m_2)}[/tex]

So solving for a I got -7.62. The thing I have a question about is the negative on the acceleration. At the beginning of the problem I defined rightward and downward direction as positive and upward direction as negative. So if acceleration is a negative value does that not mean it is traveling up, since I defined up as negative? I know that it doesn't not, but I am confused it can be this way.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Sheneron,

How did you get a negative answer? All the values (masses and g) are positive numbers.

Did you use g=-9.8? The value of g is a magnitude and therefore always a positive number; if we were talking about an object in free fall we would say that its acceleration is

[tex]
a_y = -g
[/tex]

just to keep g a positive number.

Ah ok I see. thanks

1. What is acceleration?

Acceleration is a measure of how quickly an object's velocity changes. It is commonly denoted as "a" and is measured in meters per second squared (m/s^2).

2. How is acceleration calculated?

Acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity (final velocity minus initial velocity) by the change in time. This is represented by the formula a = (vf - vi)/t.

3. What is tension?

Tension is a force that is transmitted through a string, rope, or cable when it is pulled tight by forces acting from opposite ends. It is measured in newtons (N).

4. How is tension related to acceleration?

In order for an object to accelerate, there must be an unbalanced force acting on it. In the case of a string or rope, tension is the force that is responsible for causing the acceleration of the object.

5. Can tension and acceleration be calculated simultaneously?

Yes, since tension is a force that causes acceleration, it can be calculated using the same formula as acceleration. However, the net force acting on the object must also be taken into account when solving for acceleration.