Simplifying dy/dx for y = e^-2x / x^2 using quotient rule

• Thread starter Schrodinger's Dog
  • Start date
In summary, the derivative of y with respect to x, where y=\frac{e^{-2x}}{x^2}, is -\frac{2e^{-2x}(x+1)}{x^3}, which is obtained by using the quotient rule and simplifying the expression. The final step involves dividing and multiplying by -2x to get the correct answer.
Schrodinger's Dog
dy/dx, where [tex]y=\frac{e^{-2x}}{x^2}[/tex]Using the quotient rule I get

[tex]\frac {-2e^{-2x}(x^2) - e^{-2x}(2x)}{x^4}[/tex]

Simplified I get:-

[tex]\frac{e^{-2x}(-2x^2-2x)}{x^4}[/tex]

The answer is [tex]-\frac{2e^{-2x}(x+1)}{x^3}[/tex]

Simple question can someone run me through the simplification, I'm not quite getting why it's over x^3 here. I'm sure it's just a simple fraction deal, but if someone could break it down nice and simply it would help.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: sorry I corrected my second step. I accidently added an extra minus sign.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Simple question can someone run me through the simplification, I'm not quite getting why it's over x^3 here. I'm sure it's just a simple fraction deal, but if someone could break it down nice and simply it would help.

You're pulling a 2x out from (2x2+ 2x).

You need to keep track of the minus signs, though.

neutrino said:
You're pulling a 2x out from (2x2+ 2x).

You need to keep track of the minus signs, though.

Ah I see if I divide [tex]\frac{e^{-2x}(-2x^2-2x)}{x^4}[/tex] by -2x. I get [tex]-1/2x^3 (e^{-2x}(x+1))[/tex] which is [tex]-\frac {2e^{-2x}(x+1)}{x^3}[/tex] I'm wondering what my problem was here. Thanks there. Simple really.

Last edited:
Schrodinger's Dog said:
Ah I see if I divide [tex]\frac{e^{-2x}(-2x^2-2x)}{x^4}[/tex] by -2x.

Actually, you divide AND multiply by -2x. :smile:

neutrino said:
Actually, you divide AND multiply by -2x. :smile:

Sure that's what I meant, thanks.:smile:

1. What is "Simple Simplification"?

"Simple Simplification" is a scientific concept that involves breaking down complex systems or theories into simpler, more manageable parts. It is a useful tool for understanding and analyzing complicated phenomena.

2. Why is "Simple Simplification" important in science?

In science, there are often complex systems and theories that can be difficult to understand and study. By simplifying these systems, scientists can gain a better understanding of how they work and make predictions about their behavior.

3. How is "Simple Simplification" used in scientific research?

Scientists use "Simple Simplification" in various ways, such as creating models to represent complex systems, breaking down data into smaller chunks for analysis, and identifying key variables to focus on in experiments.

4. Are there any limitations to "Simple Simplification"?

While "Simple Simplification" can be a useful tool, it is important to note that it may oversimplify or leave out important details in the original complex system. Therefore, it is important for scientists to carefully consider the limitations of simplification in their research.

5. Can "Simple Simplification" be applied to all scientific fields?

Yes, "Simple Simplification" can be applied to a wide range of scientific fields, from biology to physics to psychology. It is a fundamental concept in scientific thinking and is used in various ways across different disciplines.