1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple 1-D Kinematics Question

1. Aug 28, 2006 #1
    I tried this question multiple times, but now I've become stuck.

A person shoots a gun straight up into the air on New Year's Eve. The velocity at which the bullet leaves is 3.00 x 10^2 m/s. What is the maximum altitude of the bullet?

Here's what I've tried:

I attempted to apply the x=1/2(vi+vf)t formula, but it's missing some variables, namely vf, t, and the displacement. I've also tried to find the final velocity through vf=vi+at, but then I'm missing the time. Then I tried to get the final velocity with vf^2=vi^2+2ax, but I'm now missing the displacement. I must be not seeing something very obvious here.

EDIT: Ahh...gods. I have just realized something. vf = 0 when the bullet reaches the top. Silly me--that means it's not missing any variables.
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 28, 2006 #2
    You're missing the displacement because that is what the problem is asking for. The displacement is the maximum height that the bullet reaches. Use that equation, with accleration being gravity.

EDIT: OK!
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2006
  4. Aug 28, 2006 #3
    Heh, thanks for the help anyways. :)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?