• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Simple 1D Kinematics Problem

• Thread starter Neil6790
  • Start date

Homework Statement

In a historical movie, two knights on horseback start from rest 62 m apart and ride directly toward each other to do battle. Sir George's accleration has a magnitude of 0.21 m/s2, while Sir Alfred's has a magnitude of 0.26 m/s2. How far from Sir George's starting point do the knights collide?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

62 - x = (1/2)*(0.21 m/s^2)t^2
62 - x = (1/2)*(0.26 m/s^2)t^2

I was trying to find any velocity or any time but i can't seem to conceive anything logic that would work. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Answers and Replies

danago
Gold Member
Try to write equations that give the position of each knight relative to Sir George's starting position at any given time, and then find when they are equal.

LowlyPion
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

In a historical movie, two knights on horseback start from rest 62 m apart and ride directly toward each other to do battle. Sir George's accleration has a magnitude of 0.21 m/s2, while Sir Alfred's has a magnitude of 0.26 m/s2. How far from Sir George's starting point do the knights collide?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

62 - x = (1/2)*(0.21 m/s^2)t^2
62 - x = (1/2)*(0.26 m/s^2)t^2

I was trying to find any velocity or any time but i can't seem to conceive anything logic that would work. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Almost the right idea.
You need to use different X1 and x2

X1 = 1/2a1t2

X2 = 1/2a2t2

You know that they meet by definition when the time is equal and ...their total distance adds to 62.

Divide the first equation by the second.

You get X1/X2 = a1/a2

and you know X1 + X2 = 62.