1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple 3D statics problem

1. Sep 24, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If cable AB is subjected to a tension of 700N determine the magnitude of the vertical force F in N.

Pic:
    [PLAIN]http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/9823/capturespm.png [Broken]

2. Relevant equations
    Sum of forces in x y and z direction

3. The attempt at a solution
    I am retaking my statics course after i switched majors (long story) and i kind of forgot how to solve this the RIGHT way.

My approach would be first breaking up all the tensions in the x y and z components and summing all of those. I'll end up with 3 equations and 3 unknowns (F, AC and AD). I just feel like that's too much work...

On top of that my book makes use of i j and k but in those problems angles are given (which does make it easier to calculate the components)

Could someone give me a quick rundown on how to solve this?

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 24, 2011 #2
    Sounds like you're doing it right. You've got the forces broken down, solve for the unknowns. Make sure that you're assuming |AB| to be 700N not any one component of it.

4. Sep 24, 2011 #3
    turns out working with unit vectors and i j and k is much easier! Thanks for the reply though!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook