1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple Acceleration Problem

1. Sep 8, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I'd just like someone to see if I answered correctly. I'm having a bit of difficulty grasping the vagueness of the displacement in these questions I've been getting in my textbook. From what I gather the displacement is relative to the vector points, (the two x points in kinematic equations). However, how am I to know what direction the car is travelling relative to the x plane if it doesn't specify the point in a question? I don't know if you guys get me.. The acceleration I found in the question below, could be positive or negative, it doesn't specify enough. Or am I wrong?

A car slows down from 23 m/s to rest in a distance of 85 m. What was its acceleration, assumed constant?

2. Relevant equations

The kinematic equations for constant acceleration.

I attempted to solve it with the following:

finalV^2=initialV^2+2a(finalX-initialX)

3. The attempt at a solution

Here is an image of my attempted work. I got -3.1 m/s^2 as my answer.

Physics_problem_solution.jpg

Last edited: Sep 8, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 8, 2011 #2

lewando

Gold Member

Good work by you! :smile:

4. Sep 8, 2011 #3
    Yes! Thanks

5. Sep 8, 2011 #4

lewando

Gold Member

Sorry, I did not read your question carefully enough.

V0x = +23m/s (assumedly in the +x direction)
    x0 = 0
    x = 85

Since the car is decelerating, the acceleration vector will be in the opposite direction of the velocity vector, hence the appropriateness of the "-" in front of 3.1m/s2

6. Sep 8, 2011 #5
    Very helpful, thank you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook