1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple Acceleration Question

1. May 14, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Velocity in m/s at time t is defined as v= 20t(1+2t)^-2

Find Acceleration at 0.5s

2. The attempt at a solution

I missed the day we covered this topic in class and I am under the assumption that I would find the derivative of 20t(1+2t)^-2 and then find the derivative once more to get acceleration. Once I get the second derivative its as easy as substituting 0.5 for t. Unfortunately I never get the correct answer which I was told is 9.6m/s. Is the answer wrong? I end up with 15m/s all the time.
  2. jcsd
  3. May 14, 2007 #2

Homework Helper

If you are given the velocity function you only need to differentiate once to get the acceleration.
  4. May 14, 2007 #3
    I must be doing something wrong I keep getting the wrong answers.

s(t) = (4t^2 + 5)^3 t=1

I do the work

First Derivative - 24t(4t^2 + 5)^2
    Second Derivative - 384t^2(4t^2 + 5)

My answer is 3456 m/s and the book tells me it is 5400 m/s
  5. May 14, 2007 #4

Homework Helper

So is this supposed to be a new question? What happened with the first one you posted?

Note the unit of acceleration is m/s^2.

Your second derivative is not right. You're using the product rule, right? You're missing a term.
  6. May 14, 2007 #5
    :rofl: I feel really stupid right now. I knew something was up, turns out I was forgetting the product rule for all the questions. Thanks for clueing me into that. What a silly mistake.
  7. May 14, 2007 #6

Homework Helper

You're welcome, lol. Those things happen. :smile:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?