Acceleration Homework: Solving a Simple Question with Equations

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with determining the direction of acceleration in a given scenario involving a cart. The conversation mentions the confusion between acceleration and velocity and suggests considering the direction of force and the change in direction of the cart to solve the problem. However, the person is still struggling to find the correct solution and is seeking help before their upcoming deadline.
Kingsley

Homework Statement

prelab.jpg

Homework Equations

acceleration

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried the answer:
BAEBB

1 looks like its accelerating up
2 looks like its accelerating down
3 the acceleration looks like it is 0 (v=0)
4 the acceleration looks like its going back up
5 the accleration looks like its going up

but it's wrong, what am I doing wrong?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You are confusing acceleration and velocity. All of your answers are for velocity.

DaleSpam said:
You are confusing acceleration and velocity. All of your answers are for velocity.

how do i solve it to know which way the acceleration is going

Kingsley said:
how do i solve it to know which way the acceleration is going

Think about which way a force is acting on the cart. For example, note that in A the cart is moving upwards, but is there anything actively pushing it that way?

Next think about when the cart changes directions. You can learn from Newton's laws that a force must be applied to change the direction of an object's motion. What can you deduce about the direction of acceleration?

I still can't get it I'm thinking about it like aaeba now but it's still wrong in 1 and 2 I think the acceleration would be a because it's both pointing in the negative direction 3 is 0 because it's not moving 4 would be b because it's about to speed up in that direction and 5 is a because it's slowing down

what am I doing wrong?

someone please help this question is due in 30 mins

What is simple acceleration?

Simple acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity over time. It measures how quickly an object's speed is changing.

What is the formula for calculating simple acceleration?

The formula for simple acceleration is a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

What is the unit of measurement for simple acceleration?

The unit of measurement for simple acceleration is meters per second squared (m/s²).

How does simple acceleration differ from constant acceleration?

Simple acceleration refers to any change in an object's velocity, while constant acceleration specifically refers to a steady increase or decrease in velocity over time.

What are some real-life examples of simple acceleration?

Examples of simple acceleration include a car accelerating from a stop sign, a roller coaster descending down a hill, and a person jumping off a diving board into a pool.