Simple acids and bases question

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of acids and bases, specifically focusing on how protons are transferred between them in a reaction. The first part of the conversation discusses the formation of ions when nitric acid, HNO3, is added to water, and the thought process behind it. The second part discusses the formation of ions when potassium hydroxide is added to water, and the potential mistake in the attempted solution. Finally, the conversation moves on to discussing a potential reaction between nitric acid and potassium hydroxide solutions, and the thought process behind it. The conversation also mentions the use of an Arrhenius base, KOH, and the dissociation process.
baylin
Sorry guys,

I can't seem to grasp the concept:

It deals with acids and bases. When the acid donates the proton, to the base, how do we know how many is transferred and how many the base can accept? This is where I am stumped.

Homework Statement

What ions are formed when nitric acid, HNO3 is added to water?

The Attempt at a Solution

HNO3 + H2O -----> H3O + NO3

My Thought Process: The HNO3 is the acid, and since it donates the proton, we give off one proton, the H, to the other reactant, H2O.

The next part says:

Homework Statement

What ions are formed when potassium hydroxide is added to water?

KOH + H2O -------> KOH2 + HO

My Thought Process: The H2O is the acid and it donates one proton to the other reactant, the H, to the other reactant KOH.

The next part says:

Homework Statement

If these two solutions are poured together, what is the reaction that would occur?

I am not sure here. Are they talking about the "two solutions" meaning the nitric acid and the potassium hydroxide? If they are:

HNO3 + KOH ------> KOH2 + NO3

My Thought Process: The nitric acid is the acid here, so it gives off one proton, the H, to the other reactant, KOH.

I think I have the first one right, but I doubt I have the second one. I am sure if someone can please explain the thought process of what goes on in your head, I can understand it and deduce it from there. Is it always just ONE H that is donated? I tried reading the book, most of the time I understand it, as the book ("Introduction to CHEMISTRY" by Tro) it great! But this time I don't understand this section at all.

Thanks for any input!

Physics news on Phys.org
baylin said:
KOH + H2O -------> KOH2 + HO

Nope. KOH is an Arrhenius base. Google/check what it means and how it dissociates.

What is the definition of an acid?

An acid is a chemical compound that donates a hydrogen ion (H+) to a solution, resulting in an increase in the concentration of H+ ions.

What is the definition of a base?

A base is a chemical compound that accepts a hydrogen ion (H+) from a solution, resulting in a decrease in the concentration of H+ ions.

What is the difference between a strong acid and a weak acid?

A strong acid is a type of acid that completely dissociates in water, meaning all of its molecules break apart and release H+ ions. A weak acid, on the other hand, only partially dissociates in water, resulting in a lower concentration of H+ ions.

What are some common examples of acids and bases?

Some common examples of acids include hydrochloric acid (HCl), sulfuric acid (H2SO4), and citric acid (C6H8O7). Some common examples of bases include sodium hydroxide (NaOH), ammonia (NH3), and magnesium hydroxide (Mg(OH)2).

What is the pH scale and how does it relate to acids and bases?

The pH scale is a measure of the acidity or basicity of a solution. It ranges from 0 to 14, with 7 being neutral, below 7 being acidic, and above 7 being basic. Acids have a pH below 7, while bases have a pH above 7. The lower the pH, the stronger the acid, and the higher the pH, the stronger the base.