Why Isn't It 3n^2(2n+1)^2 in the Algebra Problem?

• Thread starter synkk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Algebra
In summary, the basic rules of algebra include using the four operations, following the order of operations, and solving for variables using inverse operations. To solve a simple algebraic equation, you need to isolate the variable using inverse operations. An expression is a mathematical phrase without an equal sign, while an equation has an equal sign and shows two expressions are equal. You can check your answer by plugging it back into the original equation. Algebra has many real-life applications, such as in physics, finance, engineering, architecture, and data analysis.
synkk
2ztkpwi.png

The blue bit, I understand how they got the 3, but shouldn't it be [tex]3n^2(2n+1)^2[/tex]
?

exercise E 2c

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming the middle statement to be correct, I would think that you are right here.

Edit: sacsale is right, it's correct as is.

Last edited:
It was factored out, note the brackets.

1. What are the basic rules of algebra?

The basic rules of algebra include using the four operations (addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division), following the order of operations (PEMDAS), and solving for variables using inverse operations.

2. How do I solve a simple algebraic equation?

To solve a simple algebraic equation, you need to isolate the variable by using inverse operations. For example, if the equation is 2x + 4 = 10, you would subtract 4 from both sides to get 2x = 6, then divide both sides by 2 to get the solution x = 3.

3. What is the difference between an expression and an equation in algebra?

An expression is a mathematical phrase that contains numbers, variables, and operations, but does not have an equal sign. An equation, on the other hand, has an equal sign and shows that two expressions are equal.

4. How do I check my answer to an algebra problem?

You can check your answer to an algebra problem by plugging it back into the original equation and seeing if it makes the equation true. For example, if the problem is 2x + 3 = 7, you can check by substituting x = 2 into the equation and seeing if it equals 7.

5. What are some real-life applications of algebra?

Algebra has many real-life applications, such as calculating distance, time, and speed in physics, determining interest rates and loan payments in finance, and solving problems in engineering and architecture. It is also useful for analyzing data and making predictions in various fields.