Simple algebra simplification SOLVED

• Thread starter Savipats
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Algebra
In summary, it is important for scientists to be thorough and precise in their calculations. Double checking work and identifying and correcting mistakes are important problem-solving skills.
Savipats

Homework Statement

2hd8a2o.png

Homework Equations

a^2-b^2 = (a+b)(a-b)
a^2-2ab+b^2 = (a-b)(a-b)
a^2+2ab+b^2 = (a+b)(a+b)

The Attempt at a Solution

SOLVED IT! Look at the bottom!

With my first try i got the answer 0
The result of first parenthesis was 1 /(√x+√y)

From there on it went like this 1 /(√x+√y) - 1 /(√x+√y) = 0

I'm suspecting that i might have messed up the order of operations, but not sure. I did the calculation inside the paranthesis first, then reversed it (^-1)

The answer should come like this
(2√y)/(x-y)

Solution:
Should be more careful next time.. i made an error when writing it down for myself. :) Now, with the correct signs i got

1 /(√x-√y) from the first paranthesis, and from there on it was all piece of cake. Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

it is important to be thorough and precise in your calculations. It is possible that you may have made a mistake in your order of operations or in your substitution of variables. It is always a good idea to double check your work and make sure that all steps are correct before moving on to the next step. In this case, it seems like you were able to identify and correct your mistake, which is a great problem-solving skill to have in science. Keep up the good work!

What is simple algebra simplification?

Simple algebra simplification is the process of reducing an algebraic expression to its simplest form by combining like terms and using the rules of operations (such as distribution and factoring).

Why is simplifying algebraic expressions important?

Simplifying algebraic expressions makes them easier to work with and understand. It also allows us to solve equations and find solutions more efficiently.

What are the basic rules for simplifying algebraic expressions?

The basic rules for simplifying algebraic expressions include combining like terms, using the distributive property, and factoring out common factors.

How do I know when an algebraic expression is simplified?

An algebraic expression is considered simplified when there are no more like terms that can be combined and there are no more common factors that can be factored out.

Can I use simple algebra simplification on equations with variables?

Yes, you can use simple algebra simplification on equations with variables. The goal is to simplify both sides of the equation separately until the variable is isolated on one side.