Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Simple algebra to find the strict mass–energy equivalence formula, and I cant do it

1. Dec 29, 2012 #1
    Simple algebra to find the strict mass–energy equivalence formula, and I cant do it!!

find ((m^2)*(c^4)=(E^2)-(p^2*c^2)) from (E=m*c^2*y) (p=m*y*v)
    (y=1/(1-(v^2/c^2))^(1/2))

Yeh i can find the m^2c^4 parts and the E^2 obvioulsy. but then i am stuck with E^2(v^2/c^2) when instead i want (p^2c^2). If anyone could help that would be great!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 29, 2012 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Re: Simple algebra to find the strict mass–energy equivalence formula, and I cant do

Use E=m*c^2*y again.

4. Dec 30, 2012 #3
    Re: Simple algebra to find the strict mass–energy equivalence formula, and I cant do

That will not solve anything... The formula for the momentum has to be used. I recommend you to start with "p = γmv" and find "v" as a function of "p", then find "γ" as a function of "p" and finaly replace "γ" in "E=γmc2" with what you have found.

5. Dec 30, 2012 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Sure it will. It's the first step:
    -step 1: use the formula for E as I described
    Of course it does. That's the second step:
    -step 2: then rewrite the results in terms of p

6. Dec 30, 2012 #5

OK, I thought you had say to use the formula for E twice, sorry...

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook