1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple algebra to find the strict mass–energy equivalence formula, and I cant do it

1. Dec 29, 2012 #1
    Simple algebra to find the strict mass–energy equivalence formula, and I cant do it!!

find ((m^2)*(c^4)=(E^2)-(p^2*c^2)) from (E=m*c^2*y) (p=m*y*v)
    (y=1/(1-(v^2/c^2))^(1/2))

Yeh i can find the m^2c^4 parts and the E^2 obvioulsy. but then i am stuck with E^2(v^2/c^2) when instead i want (p^2c^2). If anyone could help that would be great!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 29, 2012 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Re: Simple algebra to find the strict mass–energy equivalence formula, and I cant do

Use E=m*c^2*y again.

4. Dec 30, 2012 #3
    Re: Simple algebra to find the strict mass–energy equivalence formula, and I cant do

That will not solve anything... The formula for the momentum has to be used. I recommend you to start with "p = γmv" and find "v" as a function of "p", then find "γ" as a function of "p" and finaly replace "γ" in "E=γmc2" with what you have found.

5. Dec 30, 2012 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Sure it will. It's the first step:
    -step 1: use the formula for E as I described
    Of course it does. That's the second step:
    -step 2: then rewrite the results in terms of p

6. Dec 30, 2012 #5

OK, I thought you had say to use the formula for E twice, sorry...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook