Simple analysis problem gone wrong

• Thread starter semidevil
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Analysis
In summary, the conversation revolved around proving the convergence or divergence of three sequences. The first two sequences were shown to diverge by taking the limit and simplifying, while the third sequence was proven to converge after simplifying and multiplying by 1/n^2. The conversation also touched on using limit theorems and taking constants out of the limit.
semidevil
man, so I asked some people about some questions, and they confuse the heck out of me, so I'm going to stay here for a while.

anyways, all I want to do is to prove ((-1)^n)n/(n+1) converge or diverge. I claim it is divergent, but others claim that (-1)^n doesn't converge nor diverge... :bugeye: confused.

anywys, can you guys check it for me.

so for my proof, I multiply top and bottom by 1/n, and I get (-1)^n/(1+ 1/n). taking the limit, I see that the bottom will tend to 1, and the top will just go from -1 to 1. so this becomes *something that diverges*/1. which means this divergres...is this valid?

2. n^2 /(n+1). again, I multiply by 1/n, and get n/(1+1/n). again, the top will diverge, and the bottom will tend to 1. So is it ok to say that this will diverge because it is *something that diverges*/1?

3. (2n^2 + 3)/(n^2 + 1). same thing, multiply by 1/n, and get (2n + 3/n)/(n + 1/n). ok, so if I get stuck here. Can I take the limit of the 3/n and 1/n, and let them tend to 0. and then this becomes 2n + 0/ n + 0, which simplifies to 2.

but I feel bad about this, because I'm not taking the limit of everything at the same time...you know?

Physics news on Phys.org
Are u talking about a sequence (of numbers) or about (the sum of) a series ...??

Daniel.

dextercioby said:
Are u talking about a sequence (of numbers) or about (the sum of) a series ...??

Daniel.

sorry, this is a sequence.

Then it obviously diverges...And i hope u know why...

Daniel.

to me, I know that (-1)^n will always bounce from -1 to 1, so it won't converge to any limit.

now, the way that I proved these few statements...do they seem correct? did I jump to any conclusions?

All three examples diverge.The second would diverge,even if the (-1)^{n} factor would be missing.The proofs you've offered are rather cumbersome.

Daniel.

dextercioby said:
All three examples diverge.The second would diverge,even if the (-1)^{n} factor would be missing.The proofs you've offered are rather cumbersome.

Daniel.

ooh...that's really bad...I must be missing something really basic then...um...can you kind of give me advice on these proofs if they aren't sufficient?

If you want to start from first principles, let the limit equal L. Then just show that there exists an epsilon, such that that there is no N: n>N --> | f(n) - L | < epsilon

xorbie said:
If you want to start from first principles, let the limit equal L. Then just show that there exists an epsilon, such that that there is no N: n>N --> | f(n) - L | < epsilon

this is based on limit theorems...so I want to use these techniques...

semidevil said:
man, so I asked some people about some questions, and they confuse the heck out of me, so I'm going to stay here for a while.

anyways, all I want to do is to prove ((-1)^n)n/(n+1) converge or diverge. I claim it is divergent, but others claim that (-1)^n doesn't converge nor diverge... :bugeye: confused.

anywys, can you guys check it for me.

so for my proof, I multiply top and bottom by 1/n, and I get (-1)^n/(1+ 1/n). taking the limit, I see that the bottom will tend to 1, and the top will just go from -1 to 1. so this becomes *something that diverges*/1. which means this divergres...is this valid?

Yes it is essentially valid. You should use the theorem that says
limn->inf a_n/b_n = (limn->inf a_n )/(limn->inf b_n) and simplify

Eventually you should get limn->inf (-1)^n and at this point you can say, the sequence diverges. (Diverges means "not converge"... you can't have a sequence that doesn't converge or diverge)

Remember you can take constants out of the limit

semidevil said:
2. n^2 /(n+1). again, I multiply by 1/n, and get n/(1+1/n). again, the top will diverge, and the bottom will tend to 1. So is it ok to say that this will diverge because it is *something that diverges*/1?

Again use the theorem for division
limn->inf (n/(1+1/n))
(limn->inf n)/(limn->inf 1+1/n) =
(limn->inf n)/1=
lim n->inf n which diverges (I don't think you have to prove this part)

semidevil said:
3. (2n^2 + 3)/(n^2 + 1). same thing, multiply by 1/n, and get (2n + 3/n)/(n + 1/n). ok, so if I get stuck here. Can I take the limit of the 3/n and 1/n, and let them tend to 0. and then this becomes 2n + 0/ n + 0, which simplifies to 2.

Yes, the above converges. I'd multiply numerator and denominator by 1/n^2

Your answers seem right. 1 and 2 diverge. 3 converges.

1. What is a simple analysis problem?

A simple analysis problem is a type of scientific problem that involves the use of basic mathematical or statistical techniques to analyze data and draw conclusions. It often involves identifying patterns or trends in data and making predictions based on those patterns.

2. How can a simple analysis problem go wrong?

There are many ways a simple analysis problem can go wrong. It could be due to errors in data collection, incorrect assumptions, faulty calculations, or using the wrong analysis technique. It could also be a result of bias or subjective interpretation of the data.

3. How can one prevent a simple analysis problem from going wrong?

To prevent a simple analysis problem from going wrong, it is important to carefully plan and design the study, clearly define the research question, and use appropriate and validated methods for data collection and analysis. It is also important to critically evaluate the results and consider alternative explanations for any unexpected findings.

4. What are some common mistakes in simple analysis problems?

Some common mistakes in simple analysis problems include using small sample sizes or biased samples, not accounting for confounding variables, and misinterpreting correlation as causation. It is also important to avoid cherry-picking data or only reporting results that support a desired conclusion.

5. How can one effectively communicate the results of a simple analysis problem?

To effectively communicate the results of a simple analysis problem, it is important to clearly and concisely present the data and the methods used. Visual aids, such as graphs or charts, can also help to convey the findings. It is also important to acknowledge any limitations or uncertainties in the data and to provide a logical and evidence-based interpretation of the results.